Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

I was working on my computer today and it froze. A screen

I was working on my computer today and it froze. A screen popped up saying my computer was blocked because of suspicious activity or something like that. A recorded voice also came on saying my computer was blocked and that I should not shut it off. It said to call a number, which I stupidly did. They said they were Tech support for Microsoft. They are called TechNet IT. They went on to say that I did not have Windows 10 is set up to block the computer if there is activity such as malware etc. Long story short 4 hours ater and abot $650. canadien I have come to the conclusion that I think I was scammed and that somehow they were able to get in to my computer and create a problem that they then gave a solution for by supposedly installing a network security system. Does any of what they were saying about Windows 10 notifying and blocking your computer make sense?
JA: What device or product does this involve?
Customer: Not sure what your question means. Device? Dell computer product? Windows 10
JA: What Microsoft model do you have?
Customer: Not sure. How would I check that. Microsoft Edge?
JA: The Software Technician will be able to walk you through that. When did you last update Edge?
Customer: I have only had the computer for 2 or 3 months. I haven't updated anything.
JA: What have you tried so far with your Edge?
Customer: I have tried nothing. I don't even know what Edge is. I am not a compter savy person. What I really want to know is if it is true that Microsoft will block your computer and send you a message if it detects suspicious activity such as malware?
JA: The Software Technician will be able to walk you through that. Anything else you want the Software Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

I'm sorry about the issue. That was a fake popup message. It was a scam.

Did you see if the scammer had installed any program on your computer?
Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I stupidly gave them control of my computer so I am not sure what they have installed. As you can imagine I am feeling sick about this. They said they were installing a network firewall security.

Thank you. On your computer, please click on the website below in order to connect with me remotely, then I can help you directly:

https://tinyurl.com/yccrpzy4
, then allow the Elsinore.ScreenConnect program to download/run/open when prompted at the bottom.
Note: If it does not connect within 5 minutes, then please reply at the box below and let me know. Thank you,

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It is not connecting. It keeps saying my PC ran in to a problem and needs to restart. It keeps cycling back to the same message. It shows stop code 0xc00021a

Press and hold the Power on / off button on the computer for about 10 seconds, then turn it back on and check.

- If needed, select option Troubleshoot > Reset PC > Keep my files and continue. Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I cannot get to troubleshoot because it just keeps cycling through the same message about needing to restart then not being able to. I have tried turning it off 3 times. It is like it is stuck.
  1. Press and hold the Power on / off button on the computer for about 10 seconds.
  2. Turn it back on, then in about 5 seconds, press and hold the power on / off button for about 10 seconds again.
  3. Then turn it back on, then does it give any option?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No. It just keeps going back through the same cycle message of the PC ran in to a problem needs to restart and then after about 10 seconds the same message just comes back.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Does the message number I gave you mean anything to you?

I'm sorry; it's strange. I think it needs to be fixed locally, but let me open the issue to other experts. Please do not wait; you will get an email when there is a response from another expert. Thank you for your patience.