I was talking to a very sick friend last night and suddenly…

Customer Question
I was talking to...

I was talking to a very sick friend last night and suddenly my screen went white and said that I needed to call this number for a support person because they detected a virus and told me not to shut my computer off because someone might be getting all my info I called the number they gave for support and no one answered. Turned off... Read full answer

I was talking to a very sick friend last night and suddenly my screen went white and said that I needed to call this number for a support person because they detected a virus and told me not to shut my computer off because someone might be getting all my info I called the number they gave for support and no one answered. Turned off my computer until I just got a call from my bank, because I called them after last night and my accounts are OK so far but lastnight when I got your message from Microsoft they said I could be getting hacked and someone could be getting all my personal info and it gave me a phone number to call for support help, which I already mentioned to you, and the error no. to give you, even though I had a different one on my screen. Should I try that phone no. again or what should I do and I cannot get a full screen on my computer either. It has all my info icons listed on the left of my blue screen, but the top of my screen I have almost the same icons all across the top of my screen and a couple new ones that I do not have!! HELP!

Technician's Assistant: When did you last charge your phone?

Which phone are you referring too?

Technician's Assistant: The Smartphone Technician will be able to walk you through that. Have you tried a force reboot (pressing and holding the Power button)?

Do you mean shutting of the modem down I am not that familier with this and it is such an old computerI am not sure where you are at or do I need to call that no. I was left last night, if they answer and give them the error nos. I was given? Do I reboot be shutting the thing off or what?

Technician's Assistant: The Smartphone Technician will be able to walk you through that. Anything else you want the Smartphone Expert to know before I connect you?

Just I am not very good at this yet and I BASICALLY USE , THE COMPUTER FOR ONLINE BANKING , SOME E-MAIL, AND FACEBOOK ( VERY CAREFUL WHO i AM talking too. I feel so stupid!

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Computer
4/12/2018
Tech Support Specialist: Cris, Support Specialist replied 1 year ago
Cris
Cris, Support Specialist

Hi, thanks for using JustAnswer.com I am Cris and will be glad to assist you. Yes, that was for sure a scam which is very popular in getting people to call the number and think they are speaking to Microsoft. They will then they you have a virus and charge outrageous amounts to do nothing.

Microsoft does not monitor or call you to inform you of any issues are your PC. That was actually the right thing to do is shut down. I can offer secure remote services and scan your PC for any malware virus/issue. Or if not provide instructions.
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
CAN YOU GIVE ME A CALL ATWILL EXPLAIN. WITH A GUY ALEX LAST
CAN YOU GIVE ME A CALL AT(###) ###-####WILL EXPLAIN … read more
Andrew Taylor
Andrew Taylor
IT System Administrator,
Bachelor of Computer Science
I was on lastnight with a tech specialist trying to correct
Hi i was on lastnight with a tech specialist trying to correct a problem I am having with my email account i paid $5.00 and we couldn't resolve the problem because I got locked out of my email for 12 … read more
Rennan Lui
Rennan Lui
IT Engineer Specialist,
I want to make sure my info. is safe. I could not sign into
I want to make sure my info. is safe. I could not sign into my Microsoft account, guess I forgot password. Was trying to sign into Amazon tracking. … read more
Tech Raksh
Tech Raksh
Engineering
Stop searching for answers—
Two things, both have happened repeatedly. First, I had an
hi, two things, both have happened repeatedly. First, I had an update and now have the watermark AGAIN, happens every time and Cortana has been completely shut off and she interrupts my video gaming A… read more
Ameen Khan
Ameen Khan
Senior IT Support Specialist,
Information Technology Management / Computer Science
Nothing...I don't even use Windows. Someone apparently
nothing...I don't even use Windows. Someone apparently skimmed my credit card last night 9reason I know it was overseas is that it was still the 22nd here in the US, and dated as "last night " which w… read more
John - Tech Expert
John - Tech Expert
Computing Network Management and Design
I keep getting something about security and to notify
I keep getting something about security and to notify customer service. I have been trying to call but I keep getting the same recording. what is going on. … read more
Uran
Uran
IT Consultant, Network and System Admin,
Network Administration
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
Need to talk to someone. Hp desktop. I have been scamed this
I have been scamed this is the second time the last time I called hp, I was switched to vg support … read more
Michael T
Michael T
I clicked into the youtube site and immeadiately the screen
i clicked into the youtube site and immeadiately the screen went orange with writing saying that i have a virus and i need to call the number that was shown. i didnt see anything about microsoft, so i… read more
Cody
Cody
Systems Engineer,
I have gotten several phone calls saying that I must call
I have gotten several phone calls saying that I must call Microsoft secuity or I may lose may microsoft key? I don't know what they are talking about. Is this a scam? … read more
Uran
Uran
Network Administration
Does Microsoft have people calling all times of day and
Does Microsoft have people calling all times of day and night that claim there is someone in my computer looking at things. We get calls all the time. Just received one at 7:41 this morning. Have rece… read more
IT Manager,
About half hour ago I ha.d a notice on my screen...which
about half hour ago I ha.d a notice on my screen...which would not allo2w me to get off my screen ...it said from.... Microsoft ....support team that I hAD a hcker on my computer and not to turn off m… read more
Computer Technican,
Google has taken $179 from my checking account and I need to
Google has taken $179 from my checking account and I need to talk to someone about charges. They were incurred on my 10 yr olds phone. Please HELP!!!!! I have tried several numbers that say there is n… read more
cvd4311
cvd4311
Computer Analyst,
Stop searching for answers—
I need help. I had an emergency call from microsoft tonight
I need help. I had an emergency call from microsoft tonight and they told me I had a serious problem. In the end he said it was a hacker and found out too that the license had expired. Someone by the … read more
Computer Specialist,
Hi There,we recently had a break in to our e-mail through yahoo
Hi There,we recently had a break in to our e-mail through yahoo pro-mail the person is sending a request to update your user name and password XXXXX your letterhead and almost identical page layout on… read more
Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts
why is my account blocked i have had that account for at least
why is my account blocked? i have had that account for at least 10 years and now i can't log on. I have personal documents with my bank accounts and my address and phone number on there.… read more
Cris
Cris
Support Specialist,
I am a non member, but enjoy chatting with others. I encountered
I am a non member, but enjoy chatting with others. I encountered a sick/demented user last night and also chatted with him by phone. How do I report this persons screen name. He ought to be banned fro… read more
Support Technician,
when i go to write checks and the screen comes up, there is
when i go to write checks and the screen comes up, there is no box to click on to pay online. i have been trying to resolve this problem for almost 2 weeks by phone which is costing me money and getti… read more
TechGuy
TechGuy
i am a Norton subscriber, i was on line last nite but queue
i am a Norton subscriber, i was on line last nite but queue too long into late nite. I pai $150 US with my visa but got no tech support and lost connection. Windows Vista guardian blocks my attempts t… read more
Computer Software Engineer,