I got a message which filled my screen telling me I had been…

I got a message...

I got a message which filled my screen telling me I had been infected with a trojan virus and telling me I had to call microsoft at once with an 866 #. I was suspicious and immediately shut down the computer. A fishing expedition or legit?>

Technician's Assistant: What Microsoft model do you have? And the Operating System (OS)?

I'mnot sure.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your computer? What have you tried so far?

Nothing. It came up 10 seconds ago and I shut the computer down.

4/11/2018
Cris
Cris, Support Specialist

Hi, thanks for using JustAnswer.com I am Cris and will be glad to assist you. Yes, that was for sure a scam which is very popular in getting people to call the number and think they are speaking to Microsoft. They will then they you have a virus and charge outrageous amounts to do nothing.

Microsoft does not monitor or call you to inform you of any issues are your PC. That was actually the right thing to do is shut down. I can offer secure remote services and scan your PC for any malware virus/issue. Or if not provide instructions.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions. Goodbye.

Your very welcome, please take a moment to rate my service and submit at the top. Thanks, Cris.

Cris
Cris, Support Specialist