I got hacked. I now have a password that will not let me get…

Customer Question
I got hacked....

I got hacked. I now have a password ***** will not let me get into my computer. I can't use my keyboard, other than the up and down keys, or my mouse.

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand, model, and Operating System (OS) of your computer?

HP XP I am not sure of the model.

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your computer?

I tried to get into it using safe mode, but it still asks for the password. I have tried using the esc key on startup, but see nothing there that will allow me to remove the password

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

Yes. I am a number two pencil in a dot com world

Submitted: 17 days ago.Category: Computer
Customer reply replied 17 days ago
HELLO. I was told I would get someone to talk to in 8 minutes.....It has been over 30 and I still have had no response
4/3/2018
Tech Support Specialist: Pete, Computer Engineer replied 17 days ago
Pete, Computer Engineer

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Sorry for the delay; which password ***** you having difficulty with?

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
Startup
Customer reply replied 17 days ago
You can't connect with me. I can't sign in to even get my desktop

That's ok, you can ignore any automated offers that may pop up - they are sent automatically by the site.

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
I am on my laptop now
Customer reply replied 17 days ago
Well............any suggestions?

So it is the Windows XP login password ***** you are having difficulty with, correct?

Have you checked that you are using the correct lower or UPPER case letters, and NUM LOCK is turned on if necessary?

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
My keyboard will not work until I put in a password
Customer reply replied 17 days ago
the up and down arrow keys work as well as the enter key, If I press the esc key on startup, it opens up my options, and I can work within that menu, but I can't do much else
Customer reply replied 17 days ago
Are you still there?
Customer reply replied 17 days ago
Hello Are you still there?

Yes I am here

Can you see a model number anywhere on the computer?

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
Well? What do I do?

I need to know what type of computer it is and what type of keyboard you are using with it.

• Can you see a model number anywhere on the computer?
  • What is the model number of the keyboard?
Customer reply replied 17 days ago
2ua2071676
Customer reply replied 17 days ago
It is an old HP
Customer reply replied 17 days ago
h2u37US#ABA
Customer reply replied 17 days ago
The last number is ***** product number.
Customer reply replied 17 days ago
The computer worked fine up until I got scammed. If you can just tell me how to get rid of the startup password ***** I will be fine.
Customer reply replied 17 days ago
Any suggestions?
Customer reply replied 17 days ago
I have been on here for over an hour and still have nothing.
Customer reply replied 17 days ago
Are you going to help me or not?
Customer reply replied 17 days ago
Are you still there? My time is valuable and I have spent over an hour here. Can you help me or not?
Customer reply replied 17 days ago
ARE YOU STILL THERE? HELLO.
Customer reply replied 17 days ago
At least have the courtesy to answer me.

Hello

Sorry for the delay

I am still here

I have been looking into this for you.

I cannot find any information at all on those model numbers.

Are you sure they are correct? Can you attach some photos of them?

Is it a wired or wireless keyboard?

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
Wireless, but the problem isn't with my hardware. The problem is with the programming

You said "My keyboard will not work until I put in a password"

So can you try putting in a password ***** a wired keyboard instead?

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
I hooked up a wired keyboard to the computer and there was no difference.

Ok that is odd - so even a wired keyboard will not allow you to type any characters to enter the password?

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
The scammers installed this stupid prompt asking for a password ***** would not tell me what it was unless I paid them a hundred dollars. I refused. Now I need to undo what they did. I am sure there must be something I can do in my settings to remove this prompt and no longer have this problem.

Ahhh ok so the computer was infected with ransomware, and they disabled the computer from working when you refused.

The ransomware encryption is extremely secure and there is no way around it.

The only way to recover is by resetting the computer and wiping everything on it.

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
I do not have the discs.
I can press the esc key on startup and get to a menu, but I don't know what to do then to get rid of this prompt.

You will need to try to get into Windows recovery mode and run a repair or a reinstall.

If you don't have the discs you can create a Windows recovery disc on any other machine that is running the same version of Windows.

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
yeah.....but I lose all my information that way. Surely there is something I can do other than scrap 3 years worth of work
Customer reply replied 17 days ago
My keyboard will allow me to use the esc key, F8, and F2 on startup. The arrow keys work when I am in one of the menus, but the letter and number keys will not even respond when I get to that darned prompt. There SURELY MUST BE SOMETHING I can do to resolve this issue without losing all my data
Customer reply replied 17 days ago
The keyboard works fine when I am in one of these menus, but will not do anything upon startup without going to them. HELP
Customer reply replied 17 days ago
I contacted Microsoft, but they said they no longer supported XP...Basically they wanted me to buy a new operating system. I love XP and have no intentions of changing if I can get by without it. So.........Give me some other options that do not require me to lose all my data. I am 65 years old and have trouble remembering what I did yesterday. There is no way I can replicate the data I would lose.
Customer reply replied 17 days ago
HELP

I have been dealing with Ransomware cases for over 5 years, and the only possible recovery methods are:

1. Pay the ransom, or

2. Wipe the system, and recover from a backup if you have one.

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
SHIT. No way I am going to pay anyone to screw me......I don't even do that with women...but that is another story for another time. Well then....how do I create a disc from my other computer to reload XP into this box?
Customer reply replied 17 days ago
I have a monster computer in the house and can write CDs or anything else. It is loaded with XP. Tell me what to do
Customer reply replied 17 days ago
Well? I am waiting.
Customer reply replied 17 days ago
HELLO
Customer reply replied 17 days ago
Well, I am waiting.................Tell me what to do
The steps involved are quite complicated and not suitable for novice users as they involve copying and updating operating system files, which could render your computer unusable if done incorrectly. If you wish to create an image of the Windows XP files to use as a bootable disk, ask a qualified IT technician to assist.
Or try it yourself:
1. Insert the blank CD into your computer’s CD burner drive.2. Launch your CD burner software if you are using an application that did not ship with your operating system.3. Click on the Windows Start button and then select the “My Computer” option from the Start menu.
4. Right-click on the name of the CD under the “Devices With Removable Storage” section and click on the “Format” option on the menu. Formatting will erase any information that was stored on the disk, so be sure you’re using a blank CD-R or that you have made a backup copy of any information that you had stored on the CD-RW.5. Click on the “Create an MS-DOS Startup Disk” from the list of options.6. Click on “Start” to create the startup CD
Customer reply replied 17 days ago
basically, I would be better off to find some XP software discs and start all over........I can get the discs....but I certainly hate to lose all my info.

Do you have a backup of the info, e.g on the cloud?

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
No

So no backup plan for your important data even if the PC got stolen or damaged or corrupted?

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
No. I am lost
Customer reply replied 17 days ago
I think I will call it a day...................I really wish you could have helped me, but you didn't tell me anything I didn't already know I could do to resolve the problem.

A ransomware infection is a critical system failure.

Most companies will choose not to pay the ransom, however those that don't have a backup available may feel that they have no choice.

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
I will be required to ask for a refund from your company. I spent about 3 hours here and got ZERO help. I have your name and will be reporting this malfunction on your behalf to your company

You did get help sir.

I answered your questions.

They may not be the answers you wanted, but they are correct sir.

Pete, Computer Engineer