I recovered an old Sony Vaio machine from storage. I t has a…

Customer Question
I recovered an old Sony...
I recovered an old Sony Vaio machine from storage. I t has a
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Computer
Windows professional 2000 system. I want to leave as an emergency backup as hardware seems ok. Office applicstions(2000 version) run. 2 drawbacks one the video card just shows 16 colors and 2 it has a Belkin connector ( for remote wifi)but I have no idea where the Cd with drivers is. I think I should start by finding the Belkin driver. Can I copy into an USB and try to make it work ? After that would come trying to download drivers for Video card. Am I correct in my approach and can you assist? Thanks
Can you please tell me if available.. thanks
4/1/2018
Tech Support Specialist: Jins M. N., Computer Support Specialist replied 3 months ago
Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., Computer Support Specialist

Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. You can find the driver for Network Card from the CD or from Internet and copy it to a USB Disk, then connect the USB disk to the Windows 2000 system and install the driver. After that you can connect that system to internet and download and install the drivers needed.

Let me know if you need any more help regarding this.

Regards

Jins

specific help on what driver to look for

Did you installed network card driver?

The Belkin remote ( connected via USB ) says Belkin 802.11g-54 Mbps in the back it says Wireless G USB Network adapter and has a MAC address ( suppose not relevant)
I'm talking about the Belkin remote to connect to Wifi

Did you installed the Wireless adapter driver on your sony vaio? You need to install Wireless card driver before connecting to WiFi.

No I don't think so that's what I want to do

Please download this file , copy it to the Windows 2000 system and run it. It can find and install the network drivers.

How do I copy it after download; to an USB?

Copy it to a USB disk. Connect that disk to the Windows 2000 computer and install.

I try to download but it asks if I want to run, which is not the case because i am downloading in another machine(with Win 7) I suppose I just have to save it ,how do I do that? Thanks
Are you there ? thanks

Did you downloaded and installed Network Card driver? Can you connect to internet now? If so I can remotely connect to that computer and install the drivers needed.

No I am still trying to download the file you gave me in another machine and I can't find how to save the file

http://download.drp.su/builds/DriverPack_17.7.73_LAN.exe Go to this link and then you will be prompted to save or run. Click save and the file will be saved in your downloads folder or the folder you select to save.

Thanks I will try and get back to you soon

Okay, take your own time.

Good morning I have the drivers on an USB. But the installer wants an .inf file. I have the driver. But the installer does not read it. What can I do thanks
I can't connect to the internet

Can you please let me know which inf file it asks for? Please let me know the model details of Sony Vaio also.

Actually the machine froze and had other problems( no video or sound). So I restored from original disks but have not retried using the Belkin connector. Vaio is model Pcg Fx120 and now doesn't freeze but can you go into a step by step procedure: e.g. Insert USB then insert connector when plug play menu comes up do this etc? To make it easier ?
Also operating system is Millenium
Good evening I was wondering if you had a response on this?

Did you installed the network card driver? Hold down the windows logo key on your keyboard and press R key. You will get open Run command box. Type devmgmt.msc in the run box and press Enter. You will get open the device manager window. Let me know if there is yellow ? marks on any devices listed.

I try to install by pointing to the drivers I downloaded per your instructions ; it says "click the program you want to use to open DP WLAN Wifi 18033.7z If the program is not listed click other"
Am I in the right menu shouldn't this install automatically w/0 asking for a program?
The installer keeps asking for an .inf file but there is no way to access an .inf file at least in the file you told me to download
Btw devmgmt.msc in Run does not open the device manager window
Tech Support Specialist: Jins M. N., Computer Support Specialist replied 2 months ago

Click Here and Download 7Zip program. Install it on your system. Then Right click on the DP WLAN Wifi 18033.7z and extract it. Look for a setup file and use it to install the driver.

I can copy this to a flash drive? I have a computer with Wunzip extractor but not sure if the old Vaio has an extractor too. What is the best way of doing this so the Vaio can access the right setup file?

Yes, you can copy it to flash drive and install from it on the viao. Some versions of Winzip cant extract 7zip files.

what do I do if that's the case.. this is a 2004 computer
The Vaio
Good evening, for the 7z files all I get are a bunch of files, not able to know where to start. this seems tobe for Windows 7, the Vaio has a very old system milleniumm. I think we are not getting anywhere. Any way to get the LAN file without having to do zip extract?
Good evening, for the 7z files all I get are a bunch of files, not able to know where to start. this seems to be for Windows 7, the Vaio has a very old system milleniumm. I think we are not getting anywhere. Any way to get the LAN file without having to do zip extract?
Can you refer to another expert? Thanks