My computer announced it was locked and gave a number to…

Customer Question
My computer announced it...

My computer announced it was locked and gave a number to call. I thought it was my chromebook security but it turned out to be webnetworkcare and and after accessing control to a second Sony computer to repair hacker damage and encrypt my i.p. address, they charged $400. I am suspicious this was a scam. How do I find out and what do I do if it was?

Technician's Assistant: What device or product does this involve?

My chromebook is working fine now, but they are still "repiring the Sony laptop.

Technician's Assistant: What's the model and Operating System (OS) of your Sony?

EA

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Sony? Have you installed any updates recently?

Series 4-274-175-01

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

Just how this happened and what to do about it.

Submitted: 20 days ago.Category: Computer
3/31/2018
Tech Support Specialist: Jason Jones, Computer Expert replied 20 days ago
Jason Jones, Computer Expert

My name is***** will be the person helping you today.

This was most definitely a scam.

That is a very common scam that the scammer criminals use. These people will call you, masquerading as Microsoft Techs, HP techs, or some other type of techs. They will then do their best to make you believe that you require their help in the way of remote support, customer support, software support, or something of the like. In the end, if you fall for it, you will be out hundreds of dollars.

I see that you paid them $400 to scam you. Please contact your bank as soon as possible and report the scam so that they can block the payment to them. Also, you may wish to consider contacting your local authorities and reporting this crime, if any payment was made.

Also, if they are still connected to the Sony Laptop, I suggest that you press and hold the power button on the Sony until it turns off and then turn it back on. That will remove their current connection.

If you need any additional help or have any questions, please let me know.

Thank you,

***** *****

If you wish, I can remotely connect to the Sony after you turn it back on and verify that they didn't install any backdoor software that my allow them to reconnect.

Thank you for allowing me to help you today. My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen then submit before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you,
***** *****

Jason Jones, Computer Expert