Someone locked it and pretended to be microsoft.

Customer Question
Someone locked it and...

Someone locked it and pretended to be microsoft

Technician's Assistant: What device or product does this involve?

Microsoft10and it stopped everytng and told me to cal a number

Technician's Assistant: What Microsoft model do you have? And the Operating System (OS)?

I have a dell compitorand microsoft10

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your computer? What have you tried so far?

Tried toclose and reopened butthuis annoying voice saying your computor is locked and (###) ###-####call this number

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

Yes. i have made my paage go wonky and it is sideways as i pushed all te buttons and I am getting a stiff neck

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Computer
3/31/2018
Tech Support Specialist: ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast replied 3 months ago
ChrisC
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast

Hi, my name is Chris!

If your screen is sideways, please try the following:

Hold down the Ctrl and Alt keys on your keyboard and then press the up arrow key.

That should set your screen right.

Regarding the message you received, as it sounds like you know these pop-up messages are NOT legitimate. This is a scam that is going around right now where you will encounter a message saying that your computer has been hacked or you have a virus or something along those lines and that you need to call a number to have the problem fixed. The whole thing just a ploy to get money from you.

The way it works is that small tech companies will pay third-party advertisers to insert their phone numbers into these pop up messages. So what you're actually seeing is a carefully crafted advertisement. If you called the number you'd talk to someone (probably with a foreign accent) who will ask to connect to your computer and then will try to sell you on some kind of support services you don't actually need.

If you receive these messages in the future, simply close them out.

You should be able to close the messages out by following these steps:

1. Hold Ctrl+Alt+Delete on your keyboard and then select Task Manager from the menu that comes up.

2. In the list of running programs, find the name of your browser (Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, whatever you use), click on it to highlight it, and then click the End Task button in the bottom right corner.

That should close the message out 99% of the time.

If it won't let you close it out, then you can just hold down the power button on your computer for 5 to 10 seconds to do a hard shutdown. Once you restart your computer the message should be gone.

If you have any other questions on this, just let me know and I'll be happy to answer them for you.

NOTE: If you have no further questions, please use the rating box at the top of the page to rate the answer at least 3 STARS or better so that I receive credit for assisting you. Just click to rate.