I may have overused my Kindle---a book a day for 2 months…

Customer Question
I may have overused my...
I may have overused my Kindle---a book a day for 2 months and it has stopped working on me. I cannot swipe to open it. I need to reboot it every time and then it won't stay up for any amount of time. While it is off, it often flashes from one cover page to another without any provocation
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Computer
3/29/2018
Tech Support Specialist: Nathan, Systems Manager replied 3 months ago
Nathan, Systems Manager

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

This symptom can indicate several possible issues: an internal hardware failure, a low/faulty battery, or just a simple memory/firmware glitch.
The first step here will be to attempt to reboot the kindle. This is done by pressing/sliding and holding the power button for 20+ seconds, or until the screen flashes (usually with an image of a tree), then release. Give the kindle about a minute to start back up. Note that you may need to repeat this process 4-5 times for the reset to take effect. Let me know if the problem persists, we can then try some further steps.

Thanks,

I just said that I do the rebooting all the time. You want me to do it 4-5 times in a row?

You mentioned rebooting, but not any specific process. There is a lot of bad or incomplete information online, so I'm not sure what specific steps you have tried or if they were correct. Please do still try it several times in a row.

I rebooted as you told me. Problem still persists. It shuts down after a few minutes. The swipe to unlock feature is not present. Also the brightness feature does not work.

Thank you for trying,

this does tend to indicate an internal hardware defect, which would be a faulty digitizer (touch sensor) or control board failure.

If the kindle still isn’t working properly, the next step will be a deeper level reset. If you have not charged the kindle recently or know that it is at least half full, then you should charge the battery for at least a few hours before proceeding further. Then plug the kindle into computer via usb cable, then press and hold power button for 60+ seconds, and release. The kindle will take 3-5 minutes to reload it's internal firmware. If it doesn't turn back on by itself, press power once to turn it on.

Ok. I did that. The screen never goes blank and stays blank. It flicks to blank and then comes back up with the tree image and starts the black line filling in above the tree. I still do not get a swipe to unlock message.
What if you cannot fix it?
Ok. I have done all of the above. What do I do now?
How often do you actually solve the problem?

My apologies for the delay. The site is not quite instant, but please try to send only a single response and allow me time to receive it and respond back; multiple messages can get lost in the queue and further delayed.

This is a hardware matter, it is not possible to fix it remotely.

If neither of the above steps helped, then there is an internal hardware defect, which is something that would require repairs. However it would not be worth fixing, as it would cost twice as much to fix as it would to buy a brand new model with a fresh warranty and updated features: https://amzn.to/2q1HLgz

When you receive your replacement kindle, once it is registered and connected to wifi, all of your existing books/purchases will sync to the new kindle, so you won’t lose any of the content you’ve previously purchased.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

I had insurance but I did not have an opinion back so I just ordered a new model and paid for it.

You may still be able to get the insurance/warranty plan to reimburse you at some point, or get a refund of the original purchase, so it would still be worth pursuing.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,