I just got a screen message omg other computer saying my…

Customer Question
I just got a...

I just got a screen message omg other computer saying my computer had a firewall security breach. The message said to call 1(###) ###-#### Is this a valid number? Sorry to bother you but in this day and age have to question when you get an email wanting you to call and probably asking questions for information on my computer. Thanks, Leonard.

Technician's Assistant: Who is your email provider (Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook, etc.)?

Xfinity

Technician's Assistant: How do you usually access your email? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?

On my iPad.

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

I did not try anything. I was planning on calling the number if it is a valid Microsoft tech number.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

No, but should I call that number, assuming it is correct?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Computer
3/29/2018
Tech Support Specialist: ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast replied 4 months ago
ChrisC
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you with this!

These pop-up messages are NOT legitimate. This is a scam that is going around right now where you will encounter a message saying that your device has been hacked or you have a virus or something along those lines and that you need to call a number to have the problem fixed. The whole thing just a ploy to get money from you.

The way it works is that small tech companies will pay third-party advertisers to insert their phone numbers into these pop up messages. So what you're actually seeing is a carefully crafted advertisement. If you called the number you'd talk to someone (probably with a foreign accent) who will ask to connect to your computer and then will try to sell you on some kind of support services you don't actually need.

Sometimes these companies will claim to be Microsoft or HP or some other well known company. This is always a lie. Microsoft has released a statement saying they never contact customers directly about computer issues and that all contact must first be initiated by the customer.

If you receive these messages in the future, simply close them out.

If it won't let you close it out, then just force the computer to shutdown by holding the power button for 5 to 10 seconds. When you boot the device back up the message should be gone.

If you have any other questions on this, just let me know and I'll be happy to answer them for you.

NOTE: If you have no further questions, please use the rating box at the top of the page to rate the answer at least 3 STARS or better so that I receive credit for assisting you. Just click to rate.

Are you still with me? Do you have any further questions on this?

If not, please remember to use the rating box at the top of the page to rate the answer at least 3 STARS or better to close out our chat session.