We can’t remember the password to get into a laptop. Can I…

Customer Question
We can’t remember the...

We can’t remember the password ***** get into a laptop. Can I buy a flash drive that will capture the password

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model and Operating System (OS) of your laptop?

We can’t remember the password ***** get into a laptop. Can I buy a flash drive that will capture the password. It’s a toshiba Microsoft 10

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Toshiba? Have you installed any updates recently?

It’s a toshiba with Microsoft 10

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

No This is very frustrating we have cried a whole bunch of passwords that I usually use and none of them work

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Computer
3/29/2018
Tech Support Specialist: David L, Systems Engineer replied 3 months ago
David L
David L, Systems Engineer

My name is David.

Do the following to reset the password ***** regain access to the computer:

First, obtain a Windows installation disc/USB flash drive. If you do not

have one you can make one using the tool at the link below:

click here

Boot your computer off the Windows installation disc.
Press Shift and F10 together to open a command prompt after the computer

finished booting.
Next, run the following commands in order:

diskpart
list vol

Identify your Windows installation partition drive letter from the list

presented.
Type

Exit

and press Enter.
Type the drive letter of your partition (for example, D: ) and press Enter.
Type

cd \Windows\System32

and press Enter. Then type

ren Utilman.ex_ Utilman_old.ex_

and press Enter. Then type

copy cmd.ex_ Utilman.ex_

and press Enter.

And then reboot then computer.

At the logon screen click the Accessibility Options icon.

When the command prompt opens, run the following commands, replacing

user_account with the name of the account you want to reset the password:

net user user_account *

Type in a new password ***** prompted, then type in the new password ***** to

confirm.

Login to the computer.

Go back to C:\Windows\System32 and delete the Utilman.ex_ made earlier, and

rename Utilman_old.ex_ to Utilman.ex_

Note: When any of the words above ends in an underscore, replace the

underscore with the letter e before running the command.

Excellent

Did that resolve the issue for you? Do you have further questions?

Do you still need assistance?