Does Microsoft use third-party companies to handle security…

Customer Question
Does Microsoft use third-party...

Does Microsoft use third-party companies to handle security issues with Microsoft 10? My computer froze and there was a message on the screen to call a company to take care of an issue with hackers. They remotely accessed my computer and told me they could fix all the problems for $150 The company is Barewire Lmtd. I think I have been scammed again. What should I do?

Technician's Assistant: What device or product does this involve?

My HP Computer and Microsoft Windows 10.

Technician's Assistant: What Microsoft model do you have?

I am not sure.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your computer? What have you tried so far?

It happened a few hours ago and started with a message that Google had detected hackers trying to get ii , or had already gotten, to my computer and was in danger of having my pass words stolen. There was a number to call, which I did. They claimed to be a third-party company Microsoft used to handle these issues. he got into my computer, bad decision on my part, and told me all the things that were wrong with it. They could fix it for $150 and told me their name was Barewire Lmtd. I told them I would think about it. The computer seems to be working fine now.

Submitted: 22 days ago.Category: Computer
3/28/2018
Tech Support Specialist: Chris L., Support Specialist replied 22 days ago
Chris L., Support Specialist

Hello my name is ***** ***** certified computer professional with over 10 years experience. I will be happy to help you.

This is absolutely a scam, it is very well known and we see this type of tech support scam often. Microsoft or any legitimate company would never contact you this way. Your computer does not report its status to anyone. Usually what will happen is once you are in contact with them they will lie to you about issues that your computer does not have such as it is being hacked or has viruses. They will then attempt to charge you many hundreds of dollars to fix the fake issues. If they call you back just hang up and do not let them connect to your computer. The message you received was all part of the scam and your computer is fine. My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating for providing you a quick answer! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Chris L., Support Specialist