A tech company said tfat I had a contract with them ==, that…

Customer Question
A tech company said...

A tech company said tfat I had a contract with them ==, that they are closing and they want to refunsmt $200. Gpotop assist. (###) ###-####

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model and Operating System (OS) of your laptop?

I did not trust then and hung up.

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your laptop? Have you installed any updates recently?

Compact HP

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

No. But they may have.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Computer
3/27/2018
Tech Support Specialist: Jason Jones, Computer Expert replied 3 months ago
Jason Jones, Computer Expert

My name is***** will be the person helping you today.

They were scammers. You did the right thing by hanging up on them. If you were to give them your banking or credit card information so that they could "refund" you, they most definitely would have charged you as much as they wanted to.

That is a very common scam that the scammer criminals use. These people will call you, masquerading as Microsoft Techs, HP techs, or some other type of techs. They will then do their best to make you believe that you require their help in the way of remote support, customer support, software support, or something of the like. In the end, if you fall for it, you will be out hundreds of dollars.

If you gave the scammer any banking information, please contact your bank as soon as possible and report the scam so that they can block the payment to them. Also, you may wish to consider contacting your local authorities and reporting this crime, if any payment was made.

Thank you for allowing me to help you today. My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen then submit before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you,
***** *****