Sunday night I was on AOL doing a puzzle when all of a

Sunday night I was...

Sunday night I was on AOL doing a puzzle when all of a sudden my Surface Pro 4 (1 terrabyte) slowed way down and then went black screen. I can not restart it. I have tried the power button, the 4 key reset and even the up and down volume simultaneously.

Technician's Assistant: What device or product does this involve?

Please help - desperate !! My surface pro 4

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Surface Pro? What have you tried so far?

Since Sunday night - I have tried the power button numerous times and durations, the 4 key reset and even the up & down simultaneous buttons. So far nothing works!

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

That's all of it.

3/27/2018
Michael T

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to JustAnswer. I'll be the one to assist you with your question regarding your issue

When your computer slows way down and goes black screen it usually indicates a fatal hardware problem...

Your CPU may have burned up which will cause what you are seeing to happen..

How old is your surface pro?

If it is a dead cpu or even dead motherboard you will see power lights but NOTHING will happen

Apprx 1 year -
I do not see any power light or any light at all]
In fact nothing happens whatever I try

OK ZERO power lights means this is either a power supply issue internally or externally.

In this case, an internal battery change or external power adapter may solve this issue which is far cheaper than a cpu or motherboard...

Have you tried to move the ac adapter to another location? have you tried powering up using the battery power alone?

Are you still here?

Have you tried to move the ac adapter to another location?

have you tried powering up using the battery power alone?

How do I change the battery. The power adapter is fine as I also use it to charge my older surface 3
I tried it with and without adapter. When it went blank it was fully charged and connected to adapter also
Should I give up and bring it to a microsoft store?

OK thats good to know... Im glad you are able to test that... Most people cannot...

Ok the battery replacement is around $80 and it is quite the pain in the bum to do...

It is very tight and very time consuming.. DO you have the experience in order to try this?

Also you need to remember that a hands on tech would need to test this theory in order to make sure its going to work

IT could be motherboard failure but without seeing it or being able to test it, i cannot be sure

Sounds like I do need to go to microsoft store - can they test it and replace battery there?

I do not want you to throw away money on a possibility....

Your best bet with your interests at heart would be a hands on tech in a shop that can test your laptop properly and determine exactly what is happening.

Yes they can replace the battery and test it to make sure thats the issue...

If there is ANY possibility your machine is under warranty this will be covered 100% so you may even walk away with a new one

Michael T
OK, I will do that. Thanks for the help - I do appreciate it. Bye.