Trying to set up a new HP printer--HP tech tells me that I…

Customer Question
Trying to set up...

Trying to set up a new HP printer--HP tech tells me that I have hackers in my network that can't be controlled with Mcaffee and gave me a price for your service. Is this legit? What are your prices? Does HP get a cut?

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your computer or device?

Windows 10

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update your McAfee software?

Yesterday

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Computer
3/27/2018
Tech Support Specialist: Chris L., Support Specialist replied 4 months ago
Chris L., Support Specialist

Hello my name is ***** ***** certified computer professional with over 10 years experience. I will be happy to help you. You did not speak to HP you spoke to people trying to scam you. It is very well known and we see this type of tech support scam often. No legitimate company would ever contact you this way. Your computer does not report its status to anyone. Usually what will happen is once you are in contact with them they will lie to you about issues that your computer does not have such as it is being hacked or has viruses. They will then attempt to charge you many hundreds of dollars to fix the fake issues.

Here is a direct link to official HP support for your printer. Do nopt pay the person you spoke to on the phone anything and if they call back just hang up.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating for providing you a quick answer! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.