We have not used this computer for 3 years and cannot

We have not used...

We have not used this computer for 3 years and cannot remember the password. We have tried many combinations. How can we unlock?

Technician's Assistant: What device or product does this involve?

It is an asus laptop with intel core 17 inside and windows 8

Technician's Assistant: What Asus model do you have?

Where would I find the model type

Technician's Assistant: The Laptop Technician will be able to walk you through that. What have you tried so far with your Asus? Have you installed any updates recently?

No we have not used it for at least 2-3 years

3/27/2018
Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist

I'm sorry about the issue. Does it show a name or username at the password ***** login screen?
Does it show an email address at the password ***** login screen?
Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

Yes it does show an email that we no longer use very much it is ****************

Do you have another working Windows computer?

No

For computer's password ***** verification, do you have a phone number ending with the two digits 12? If yes, what's the last four digits of your phone number?

Our home phone ends in 12. The complete number is ****************

****************

For computer's account password ***** please have a pen and a piece of paper ready. Microsoft will call you and provide you a code number. Please tell me that code number, so I can fix your computer's password ***** you. Thank you.

The code is(###) ###-####

Please try the password ***** and see if it works.

Please let me know. Thank you.

For one more verification, Microsoft will call you again, please tell me the new code number. Thank you.

Does the above password *****? Did you receive a new phone call with a new code number?

Please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help. Thank you.

No the password ***** not work and we have not received a second call from them

Any phone call now?

1. At the password ***** / login screen, can you click on the Wi-Fi / wireless signal / network icon, if available, then select / connect to your Wi-Fi / wireless network name first, then try the given password?

2. If that does not work, can you connect an extra Ethernet / network cable from the computer to the internet modem / router device, then see if the given password *****?

Please let me know. Thank you.

We cannot do either of those options but we do have another computer with windows in our home

Is it okay to reset the computer fresh, so you can re-set it up fresh, like brand-new, with a new password ***** want?

Are you talking about the original asus computer?

Yes, on the problematic computer, please do the following steps:

Solution #1:

1. At the password ***** login screen, press and keep holding the Shift key on the keyboard.
  2. Click on the Power icon at the bottom right of the computer's screen, then click on the option Restart while still holding the Shift key.
  3. When a menu appears, then you can release the Shift key.
  4. When prompted, click on the Troubleshoot option.
  5. Then select the option Reset PC, and continue.
  6. When prompted, select the option "Removing everything", if available, and option "Just remove files.", and continue.

- Do you see a menu / the Troubleshoot option when trying the above steps?

Please reply at the box below to continue. Thank you.

Do you mean that we would lose all the files on that computer

Yes, unless you can connect an extra Ethernet / network cable from the computer to the internet modem / router device temporarily only. You have not used that computer for 3 years, so you likely do not need anything in it right?

No we want some of the files both pictures and music

Do you have an Ethernet / network cable as shown in the image at the website below?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/814eD6yxIRL._SL1500_.jpg

We found an Ethernet cable like the picture I connected the asus with the Ethernet cable to the modem now what

Please see if the ten-character password ***** works now. Thank you.

We used the Microsoft password ***** it said welcome and then the screen cleared and now there is nothing in the screen . Now what

Press at the same time the 3 keys Ctrl, Alt, Del on the computer's keyboard, then does it show anything?

While we were waiting for your reply the computer opened
What is the current password ***** the computer now

The password ***** ***** the same as you just entered earlier, but first, can you please connect a USB drive to the computer, then back up your files, pictures, music, etc. first?

I have an external hard drive connected to the computer How do I save all the files to the hard drive

Open Pictures folder, then copy all the folders / pictures there to the external drive letter. Do the same for Documents folder and Music folder. Thank you.

I started with music and it copying the files it is now at 2% so it willl be awhile then I will do the pictures. Should reset the password ***** we finish the copies . Probably tomorrow. Microsoft gave we a n address. Account.live.com/password/reset. Should I use the computer 23 to open and then go to the reset or what would you suggest?

Just use the given password. Thank you.

You mean the computer 23 and do I need to leave the Ethernet connection in place?

Yes. You can connect the computer to Wi-Fi / wireless, then you can disconnect the Ethernet cable. Thanks.

Ok. Thank you very much for your help. If I have further questions, may I continue this session at another time?

You're very welcome. Yes, I've emailed you. Thank you.

Which email address did you send your message to

The email account you signed up at our website. Should be your current email address. Or just bookmark / add to favorite this web page. Thank you.