We just got a pop up saying we needed to call because our…

Customer Question
We just got a...

We just got a pop up saying we needed to call because our computer had a virus and now I'm suspicious we may have been scammed. the company was Microsoft Firewall Security Dept at(###) ###-#### Is this company legit?

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your Pop?

I'm not sure. How can I check?

Technician's Assistant: The Smartphone Technician will be able to walk you through that. How long has this been going on with your Pop? What have you tried so far?

My husband talked to a tech named David Compton and he said the firewall was compromised and needed to be removed and replaced. He also sold a lifetime firewall security program. They installed that and it took about an hour. That has been done.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Smartphone Expert to know before I connect you?

I think that's all thanks.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/26/2018
Tech Support Specialist: Jason Jones, Computer Expert replied 3 months ago
Jason Jones, Computer Expert

My name is***** will be the person helping you today.

I am very sorry to hear about this. You were most definitely scammed.

That is a very common scam that the scammer criminals use. These people will call you, masquerading as Microsoft Techs, HP techs, or some other type of techs. They will then do their best to make you believe that you require their help in the way of remote support, customer support, software support, or something of the like. In the end, if you fall for it, you will be out hundreds of dollars.

If you gave the scammer any banking information, please contact your bank as soon as possible and report the scam so that they can block the payment to them. Also, you may wish to consider contacting your local authorities and reporting this crime, if any payment was made.

If you wish, I can remotely connect to your system and remove any software that they may have left, which may leave your computer not secure.

Thank you for allowing me to help you today. My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen then submit before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you,
***** *****