Wifi networks will only show up on lock screen after latest…

Customer Question
Wifi networks will only...

Wifi networks will only show up on lock screen after latest win 10 update

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your Wi-Fi password?

Never

Technician's Assistant: Have you connected to this Wi-Fi network from a laptop or desktop (either Mac or PC) in the past?

Yes many times

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?

I have reset the driver, unistalled etc

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Computer
3/26/2018
Tech Support Specialist: Richard, Computer Specialist replied 4 months ago
Richard, Computer Specialist

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Do you mean you can see the networks but you cannot connect to them?

Please let me know

Thank you

i cn connect on the lock screen but ssid listing is not showing from taskbar icon or from the network & sharing center

ok, but does it lose connection once you sign in?

Asus laptop Q504U win10home

does it lose connection once you sign in?

stays connected

Ok, and if you press the windows key and R and type in

ncpa.cpl

press enter

Then right click wifi networks and select connect

What do you then see there?

the only thing there is the current wifi the laptop is connected to
i can also create the connection manually

ok.. so this is expected, what other wifi network do you want to connect to?

multiple ssid at different work locations

ok, but are you at those work locations now?

no

ok, you have to be at the locations to connect to them, so when you are at the work location, use the instructions I gave you and you will see them show, then you can click on the network and connect to it.

But you need to be at the location

the location im currently at can see 9 wifi networks on any device but this laptop. it has functioned the same at a work location. I can manually add ssid there as well. Anyone else who uses this laptop would have no clue how to do any of that.

ok, if you mean set it up before you are there then do this

From the Home screen, navigate: Settings icon Settings icon (located in the lower-left) > Network & Internet > Wi-Fi.
Note If the Windows Settings options are not visible, tap or click the Settings Home icon Settings Home icon (located in the upper-left) to go to the Settings home page.
Note Utilize the touchscreen (if available) or mouse to select the on-screen options.
From the Related settings section (located at the bottom), select Network and Sharing Center.
Network & Internet with Network and Sharing Center
Select Set up a new connection or network.
Network and Sharing Center with Set up a new connection or network
Select Manually connect to a wireless network then select Next.
Choose a connection option with Manually connect to a wireless network
Enter or configure the following info then select Next:
Network name
Security type
Encryption type
Security key
Start this connection automatically
Note Selected when a check mark is present.
Connect even if the network is not broadcasting
Caution Selecting this option might risk your computer's privacy.

Select Close.

Let me know how you go

i already know how to set up wifi manually. i want to know why the list of networks will not show.

Because you are not at the location so it is not going to show it as a network... you need to be there for it to show

on any other laptop i have ever used you can click the wifi icon or go to network settings and see a list of available wifi networks. on this laptop you can only see those networks from the lockout screen no matter where you are located
this behavior just started after the latest win 10 update

Ok.. but you can only see the available networks that are available..if the network is not available it wont show up in available networks.

If you are referring to manage networks which shows networks you have connected to in the past

1. Click the Network icon on the lower right corner of your screen.
  2. Click Network settings.
  3. Click Manage Wi-Fi settings.
  4. Under Manage known networks, click the network you want to delete.

But available networks only shows networks currently avaialble

nothing shows up in available networks unless you are in the lockscreen sign in area. The win laptop beside it can see 9 wifi ssid. it functioned normally until last big win 10 update. reset system and updated again but still the same result

I am going to opt out of working with you further, you do not need to do anything another expert will message you when they take over.

Thank you

Tech Support Specialist: Elgin Vega, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 4 months ago
Elgin Vega
Elgin Vega, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi, my name is***** will try my best to help you with this request.

To make the network icon appear in the taskbar, right click the taskbar and select "task bar setting", you will see task bar options.

Look for an option called "turn system icons on or off" and click it, in network, move the switch to on.

You must see the icon at rhe bottom right side of the screen.

Let me know if works.

the icon has always been there. When you click it the icon, blue wheels spins, then nothing. if you go to "show available networks" and click nothing shows there.

Can be the network driver, can you connect the computer using a network cable so we can try a remote session?