My Samsung S8+ did some type of maintenance reboot and now I…

My Samsung S8+ did...

My Samsung S8+ did some type of maintenance reboot and now I can't get back in my phone even with recovery process. It keeps flipping back to reset screen.

Technician's Assistant: When were you last able to use your phone?

Friday

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried a Factory Reset? The Smartphone Expert can walk you through this to ensure you don't lose your photos, contacts and other data.

Yes, but when I did that a number of times it puts me in the never ending loop back to factory reset page

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Smartphone Expert to know before I connect you?

No, thanks

3/26/2018
Cabletech
Cabletech, Computer Support Specialist

Hello and welcome! I would be happy to assist today with your question.

Give me just a moment while I review the information provided.

After reviewing your notes, I would like to try a few steps with you to get your phone to operate normally again. Let me know if you are able to perform these steps here because I have more if you are able to access the area you need.

1. Turn off the device.
  2. Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Bixby key, then press and hold the Power key.
  3. When the green Android logo displays, release all keys (‘Installing system update’ will show for about 30 – 60 seconds before showing the Android system recovery menu options).
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I am ready
ok, I will try
which is bixby key

On the left of the phone, there is the volume keys. Then there is a standalone button. That is your Bixby key.

Cabletech
Cabletech, Computer Support Specialist
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
it says reboot, black screen, all types of info

Great

1. Press the Volume down key several times to highlight “wipe cache partition.”
  2. Press the Power key to select.
  3. Press the Volume down key to highlight “yes” and press the Power key to select.
  4. When the wipe cache partition is complete, “Reboot system now” is highlighted.
  5. Press the Power key to restart the device.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Here we go, let's see

Sometimes during those updates they can get stuck and we just cleared out any temporary files from the update.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
It is sending me to Welcome. Do I hit "Next"?

Yes. I don't have the prompt that you'll see so I apologize you will have to tell me what you see. Go ahead and hit next.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
It takes me to that never ending loop of verifying google account which I have tried several times with recovery PW and it always comes back to this same screen
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Google said they can't help

So you were having an issue with logging into your Google account? I apologize, I thought you were having an issue with your phone rebooting but it was only rebooting because you couldn't verify your Google account, correct?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Yup
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
It is asking me to sign in with a device that was synced and...no luck, back to initial verify screen

The steps we performed wouldn't hurt your phone at all. It just cleared out a folder of temporary files. As to your Google password, let's see if we can work on this together. I've helped reset a lot of Google accounts. What is your Gmail?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I believe I authorized access to phone
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
My recovery email is different but gmail is associated

Do you remember your last password? I'm going to go through the steps to see if I might be able to answer the question differently.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
challenger1

And you don't have this phone any longer, correct? It blurred out the rest of the digits.

(•••) •••-••37

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
This is the phone I am trying to unlock
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
when I logged into google, it had full number

What is the full number?

Did your phone get an alert by chance?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
No, it just did that maintenance reboot like you made it do
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Then, I was locked out

Okay. Let's try this. Do you remember your first number (security question)?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Google did not have that listed

It looks like it was one of the questions setup in the security questions.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
favorite pet is "poundcake". That would be my first choice
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
2 step verification is "off"
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I used my recovery email***@******.***
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
then they sent a code, then I put it in, then it took me back to beginning after changing PW

Okay! Can you check that for me and provide me the code it sent?

I'll make sure to recover your account on my end and then we can work on the phone part. Your phone could be "locked" due to the password ***** but if we can get your Google account secured, at least we can know that part is okay.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
last code was 959672

Should be a new one sent just a few minutes ago.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
the one I gave you above was it
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I am pretty sure google is secure but we can go through it
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
still working on it?

It appears there is a lock on your Google account. I attempted to reset the account using the recovery email but it rejected saying it couldn't verify the account. When it does that, it means the account is locked out and because of the Google automated process, there's not a way to request it to be unlocked. It's a built in security measure to lock the account for 24 hours. Each time an attempt is made after the lock out, it prolongs the ability to reset it. What my thought would be is to use your AOL account to recover your gmail account so we can update your password ***** your phone so it will stop rebooting.

After it said the AOL email wouldn't work, I went to try again and it said that it was not able to process again due to it being locked out.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
what happens now?
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I didn't use the phone all day yesterday?

I'm going to try again to hope that it was only the 5 minute lockout. There's a 5 minute lockout and then a 24 hour lockout. If the 5 minute lockout fails and won't send the password ***** your AOL account, then we'll have to resume tomorrow. Another option could be to have your phone number forwarded to another cell phone so when they send the "unlock" to your phone number, it will send it to a family members or friends phone. Then you take that code and plug it into Google recovery so you can recover your email so you can get back into your phone.

Your account was locked out today with us trying to get back into it. So that timer resets.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I can give my cell phone number but not forward it to someone else. I don't like that option however

"Unavailable because of too many failed attempts. Try again in a few hours." They've updated it for a "few hours" instead of the 24 hour hold.

It would only be at the time we need to receive the text message and then they can remove the call forwarding as soon as that message comes thru. It's just an option of course but not the only solution. Some carriers may be able to see the text messages that you get inbound and can just tell you the code. But we can't do it right now since it's locked "for a few hours."

We can try again in a few hours and attempt to recover the account with or without the forwarding.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Do I leave this open or contact you later?
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Do I shut phone off?

You can bookmark this page. Then you can reply on here and I'll respond back. Yeah, go ahead and shut the phone off for now.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
ok. thx. I will get back to you in a few hours?

Sounds great! It's 9 AM my time so we can meet up at 11AM or later to resolve this.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
10:14 here, get back in 2 hours. Thx
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Actually 1230 EST. I have a meeting until then

Ok!

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I am back

Okay! Let me try to unlock it again.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
My phone is off

You won't need it on since it's a Google related issue right now.

It's still giving me the same message. https://accounts.google.com/signin/v2/recoveryidentifier?hl=en&flowName=GlifWebSignIn&flowEntry=ServiceLogin

That's the link. As soon as I put in your email address and put in the last known password, it provides that unable to reset, give it a couple of hours message. They may have the account locked for 24 hours due to all the recent password ***** attempts.

The other option to using your phone again which may be the result if the account with Google is unrecoverable is to reset your phone to factory conditions and get you a new Gmail account to use. If you opt for this, your carrier may be able to backup your phone with your pictures and files in the meantime before you reset it. This option would be the end result if we're unable to reset your account in 24 hours.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
What do you recommend?
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Don't want to lose pictures
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Want to do this again in 24 hours?

I will be here tomorrow. I do leave for a few hours around this time tomorrow for a doctor's appointment but will be back on. Want to meet up around 3pm your time? I should be back much earlier.

If you want to try to save your files, you could always check with your carrier's store location and see if they can back it up before it needs to be reset if you're okay with a new email address.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
maybe let's do 3pmEST and go from there or are your worried about data. This is gone on since Friday so, if it is gone, it prob happened by now. That would make me mad also.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I don't want a personal new email. Gmail don't care. AOL personal

Oh, if we can recover your Google account, at least we can have your email and contacts secured. Oh ok! So if you lost your gmail account, you really don't care about it. It was only for the phone right?

Your AOL account is for your personal emails

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
yup
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
3:00 EST tomorrow? Good luck at doctors!!

That makes it a lot easier. We can try meeting up tomorrow and then next step would be trying to recover the data after the update. See you tomorrow!

I'll send you an email from my personal email so if I don't respond here, you can email me just in case something crazy happened. I'll get an alert when you reply here and my email will ping my phone as well.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
ok,thx

No problem! (no need to reply back. Once you do, it alerts me that you have a follow up question).

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I gave up and bought a new phone

I was wondering what happened to you! I jumped on for a bit waiting to see if you would jump on and I figured you might have got it resolved. I have an S8+ that I plan on upgrading at some point. If you have any other questions or would like to work with me again, you have my email address to reach me directly. I work on computer/internet and TVs/cable/satellite/antenna questions. I'd love to work with you again! Have a great day!

Cabletech
Cabletech
Cabletech, Computer Support Specialist