I am trying to install printer drivers, but my Mac passwords…

I am trying to...

I am trying to install printer drivers, but my Mac passwords don't seem to work

Technician's Assistant: How are you connecting to your printer: wirelessly or by USB?

Wirelessly

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the printer driver software?

5 years ago

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

I don't know most keychain passwords either

3/25/2018
John TF.
John TF., Apple Consultant

Hello! I will work to provide accurate advice. Give me a minute to read your submission.

If Secure Remote Assistance is offered, please ignore it.

Can you tell me the exact version of macOS you are currently running on your Mac, please?

Click the Apple logo in the menu bar at the top left of the screen

Select "About This Mac"

In the window that opens, look for the "Version" information. Please let me know what it says.

Thanks,

MacOs Sierra 10.12.6

Thanks,

1) Shutdown your Mac.

2) Power it back on and quickly press and hold the “OPTION” key at boot until the boot menu appears showing the hard drive volumes in your Mac. (Alternative: If that doesn’t work - Restart, hold COMMAND + R keys until you see the Apple logo and progress indicator. If neither of those work, try COMMAND + R + OPTION. - and skip step 3)

3) Select the “Recovery" volume.

4) Wait for “macOS/OS X Utilities” screen to appear (DO NOT RE-INSTALL)

You should see a menubar at the very top of your display. Choose the “Utilities” option in that menubar, then select “Terminal” from the drop down menu.

5) Type the following at the prompt inside the new terminal window that opens:

resetpassword

and press ‘Return’ on your keyboard.

6) Select the “Macintosh HD” volume and the user account. To change the password, type it in both places, and a hint, then click the ‘Save’ button.

NOTE: if the screen looks different than described above and instead offers 3 choices (forgot password.

password ***** work when logging in, my keyboard isn't working when typing my password *****) then choose “Forgot password” and follow along to reset it…

6) Restart your Mac and, hopefully, login with the ability to use the new password.

NOTE: After resetting your password ***** logging back in to your account, you might see an alert that the system was unable to unlock your login keychain. This is expected, because the passwords for your user account and login keychain no longer match. Just click the Create New Keychain button in the alert.

I am OK through step 3. Then I get MacOs Utilities which has 4 options 1.restore from backup, 2reinstall MacOs 3Get help online 4Disk utility.

Ok, look far above all that to the very top of your monitor.

You should see a menubar. Choose the “Utilities” option in that menubar, then select “Terminal” from the drop down menu.

Hey- Looks like all is working properly. I saw menus to unlock all the keychains and sync them. Best $64>00 I spent. Thank you.
Bob

You are very welcome!

When the current question has been answered to your satisfaction, please remember to rate my personal assistance accordingly when you get a moment. However, if you have any further questions on this topic, please let me know at any time.

John TF.
John TF., Apple Consultant