Have a 2nd hand computer from my sister and when I start…

Have a 2nd hand...

Have a 2nd hand computer from my sister and when I start computer it asks for password. She doesn't remember it and there is no backup disk for password ***** How do we completely clean this computer and reassign user accounts?

Technician's Assistant: What device or product does this involve?

This is a Toshiba laptop with following: serial #XD248563Q

Technician's Assistant: What's the model and Operating System (OS) of your Toshiba?

Running windows 8.1

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Toshiba? Have you installed any updates recently?

Part # PSCF6U-0EF066

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

My sister bought this back in 2013 I think. She gave to my daughter who was 8 at the time. Sami is the account on the laptop and does not remember the password ***** assigned.

When I turn on the computer the screen is the windows sign in but because we don't remember the password ***** can't do anything. How do I completely reset the computer to the factory setting and have the Windows 8 in place.
3/25/2018
Byron
Byron, Computer Support Specialist

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist.

While looking at the login screen, hold down the left Shift key (and keep it down)

Click the Power icon and from the menu select Restart.

Release the Shift key when the Choose an Option screen appears.

click Troubleshoot

click Reset your PC and follow the prompts to complete the reset.

Let me know the result please.

I will try now
I followed the steps and responded to the prompts. System message states the resetting of PC and %.
Currently at 4%. Stand by.
11%

Perfect. You're on your way. When the process completes it will be like new and turned on for the first time.

You will run through the initial setup steps where you get the laptop connected to wi-fi (so have your password ***** as you'll

be asked for it) and create your user account. Once done you'll have a machine with a clean fresh copy of Windows.

*Note* There will likely be quite a few Windows updates coming in.

Awesome! Can't believe it was this easy. I am obviously not tech savvy but could not find anything online to help me reset her password ***** reset the computer. Thanks! It is at 330% now so moving at a good pace.

That's great to hear.
Thank you for allowing me to serve you today.
My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Byron
Byron, Computer Support Specialist