My Acer Aspire V5 screen is not coming up. The computer

My Acer Aspire V5...

My Acer Aspire V5 screen is not coming up. The computer turns on, and the second monitor works, but the laptop monitor is black. I tried restarting many times, but it doesn't work.

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your Aspire?

Latest version of Windows

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried rebooting from a DVD or flash drive?

No.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/23/2018
ChrisC
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast

Hi, my name is Chris!

This sounds like a hardware failure, unfortunately. But before I jump to any conclusions, let me gather some info.

Did it just work one day and then the next day it didn't?

It happened a couple of times last week. But this time the screen doesn't come up after many try.

Okay, and so it was kind of intermittently working before the total failure?

that's right

Okay, give me just a few minutes to check on some things for you. Please stand by.

okay

Okay, thanks for your patience there.

Unfortunately, all indications point to there being a hardware issue with the screen. There is no way to disable the laptop screen, as its considered an essential component. And it's not going to be a driver problem, as you're getting video to the second monitor which means that both your video card and the video card driver are working properly.

Since the problem was intermittent for a short while before failing completely then that indicates that the screen was starting to go bad before fully dying.

You could have it repaired by having a local computer shop replace the screen for you. But considering the age and relatively low initial cost of the machine, you may find it more cost effective to simply replace the computer. You could have your data transferred over from the old machine to the new one.

I really wish I had a quick fix for you but that's the situation you're looking at here. When a laptop screen just stops displaying an image it's a hardware failure.

If you have any other questions on this, just let me know and I'll be happy to answer them for you.

NOTE: If you have no further questions, please use the rating box at the top of the page to rate the answer at least 3 STARS or better so that I receive credit for assisting you. Just click to rate.

ChrisC
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast