My office desktop keeps trying to update 1709. After a while…

Customer Question
My office desktop keeps...

My office desktop keeps trying to update 1709. After a while it says the upgrade failed and that it has to undo all the changes, which takes equally as long.

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model and Operating System (OS) of your laptop?

HP pavilion running windows 10

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Pavilion? Have you installed any updates recently?

I have tried running the update with my system in administrator mode, from the CMD prompt I have run a couple of net commands, I uninstalled my Norton virus protection and tried to run it, I renamed my software distribution file so that the system would create a new folder, I downloaded a tool called wu170509.diagcab and then tried to run it.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Software Expert to know before I connect you?

I was going to try some DISM commands next.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/22/2018
Tech Support Specialist: Samuel NetEngineer, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 3 months ago
Samuel NetEngineer
Samuel NetEngineer, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am one of the experts that is going to help you today. Please give me a moment to look over your question so I don't miss anything.

When did this issue start?

March 15 2018
Are you there?

I am, looking into the issue.

Could I remotely login to your machine to troubleshoot the issue?

I used our business card information but your secure remote assistance update payment pop up wont take it despite entering it several times. That's paid every month so IDK why that doesn't work.

It may just be the business card that cant be used, let's see if I can type out some steps for you to follow.

To run the troubleshooter, hit Start, search for “troubleshooting,” and then run the selection that search comes up with.

In the Control Panel list of troubleshooters, in the “System and Security” section, click “Fix problems with Windows Update.”

In the Windows Update troubleshooting window, click “Advanced.”

In the advanced settings, make sure that the “Apply repairs automatically” check box is enabled, click “Run as administrator” and then click Next. Giving the tool administrative privileges helps ensure that it can delete files in the download cache.

The troubleshooter works through its process and then lets you know whether it could identify and fix the problem. Most of the time, the troubleshooter can successfully remove a stuck update from the queue. Go ahead and try running Windows Update again. Even if the troubleshooter says it couldn’t identify the problem, it’s possible that the actions of starting and stopping the service and clearing out the cache did the trick.

Ok. I am trying this now.

Let me know what happens!

It did find a problem, and is fixing. We shall see. I think I have tried this before. It wants a restart so I will loose you if I do that.

There should be a link back to this chat in your email

Ok.

Any luck?

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating!
Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today.
If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Hi Samuel, I tried the troubleshooter and it implied I only needed to restart so I did, but I no longer have a choice to just restart. I have to choose update and restart, but I get thrown back into the same loop. It can't finish the update so it undoes all the changes.

Hmm, one moment.

I won't be able to troubleshoot further without remotely connecting to the computer.'

I will opt out and open the question up to another expert.

Tech Support Specialist: Jason Jones, Computer Expert replied 3 months ago
Jason Jones, Computer Expert

I look forward to helping you today.

May I connect with you remotely to troubleshoot the issue directly? When the remote session begins, we will be able to communicate back and forth via a chat window that will appear on your computer screen.

If you don't want me to remotely connect, that is okay too. Please, let me know how you wish to continue.

I will be standing by, looking forward to your response.

Thank you,
Jason

I tried our business credit card information 3 times carefully verifying it before I hit enter and each time I got a payment error message asking us to update the CC info, which is what I was trying to do. If you can't help otherwise, then I guess just refund the money. I don't have another business credit card. That always works for everything else.

I am sorry to report, but it appears that your bank or credit card company is blocking the payment. You will have to contact your bank or credit card company, let them know that the payment is okay to be processed and that they need to remove the block. Once the block is removed, you may click the "Update Payment Info" button, come back to this page, and click the "Accept Offer" button once more.