We are needing assistance with Microsoft OneNote. When I…

Customer Question
Hello... We are needing...

Hello... We are needing assistance with Microsoft OneNote. When I share the notebook with someone else in our company, he gets an email with a link to the shared notebook but it only opens in the online version of OneNote and will not open in his desktop version or on his iphone app. May you please advise what we may be doing wrong?

Technician's Assistant: When could you last open your OneNote?

I can open mine now

Technician's Assistant: Did you recently update your software or Operating System (OS)?

No

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Computer
3/22/2018
Tech Support Specialist: Alfredo Borgaro, Information Systems Manager replied 1 month ago
Alfredo Borgaro
Alfredo Borgaro, Information Systems Manager

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your OneNote problem. Please give me 5 minutes to elaborate the answer and I'll be back with you.

Hello again Chris. Normally when using corporate One Note it will assume you are working on an online environment, still there is a simple way to share notebooks, still please note that they will not be shared online and any changes to it will be local since it will be a new version.

Follow this steps to get an exported version of your notebook/section/page

Method #1 - Send by email (Use to send only one page)

1. When in OneNote, go to the File tab
  2. Click in the Send section (far left side), we want to avoid the Share function
  3. Select either "Email Page" (which will copy the content in the email body) or "Send as Attachment" (which will only send the selected page as an attachment that can be opened in OneNote w/audio and video files)
  4. Send the email to the desired address.

Method #1 - Send by email (Use to send the page, section or entire workbook)

1. When in OneNote, go to the File tab
  2. Click in the Export section (far left side), do not use share.
  3. You will be presented with a variety of options, please select according to your recipient needs
  4. In the lower part of the opened window make sure to select either page, section or entire workbook
  5. Select the file destination (take note of where you are saving the file)
  6. Click on Save
  7. Go to the location where you saved the copy of the files
  8. Attach them on an email and you will be able to send them to the desired address.

I hope this information is helpful for you and that it fixes your problem. Of course, you can always ask me anything else if needed or if you need further assistance I invite you to request a Premium Service for us to create a remote session and walk you through the solution.

If you are now satisfied with the answer and liked my assistance please 5-star rate my service in order for me to close the request. Great meeting you!

- Alfredo

Hi Chris,

I noticed that you were able to see the answer I sent yesterday. Did it work for you? Can I help you in any other way?

If it did work out and you need no further assistance, please 5-star my answer and I can close the request :)

Have a great day!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry for the delay. When we go to file there is not an option labeled "Export". We are running the Mac Version of Microsoft OneNote. I should have noted that.
Got it. Can you also share the version of your office suite?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also, we want the shared notebooks for each user to sync automatically and it sounds like the instructions you gave will not acheive this.

Correct, please allow me to review this in detail. I'll get back to you ASAP. In the mean time, could you please let me know the version of your office suite? it would be very helpful.

Thanks

Hi again Chris,

I've found the following video that is very good explaining how sharing works, is for windows but it explains the theory very well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jduv7hTx1rc

Now, in order to transfer the file to the desktop app you should do the following (See attachment):

1. Click the link you get and go to One Note Web
  2. Click on File
  3. Select Edit in Microsoft One Note (this will take you to the google drive location)
  4. When prompted, select One Note's desktop app (I was using Google Chrome, might look different from Safari)
  5. Click save whenever you need to and changes will be synced.

I hope this fixes your problem

Alfredo Borgaro
Alfredo Borgaro