I have been hacked. It’s an Apple phone and iPad. How do I…

I have been hacked ...

I have been hacked

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your computer? And the Operating System (OS)?

It’s an Apple phone and iPad

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your iPad?

How do I look that up?

Technician's Assistant: The Mac Technician will be able to walk you through that. How long has this been going on with your iPad? What have you tried so far?

Today a strange address went out to several of my contacts with my name. I am Liz C****. My email is***@******.*** but I’ll type to you what the put as my email;

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

Yes. Wait. Here’s weird address attached to my name Liz Clark***@******.***

3/22/2018
John TF.
John TF., Apple Consultant

Hello! I will work to provide accurate advice and info. Give me a minute to read your submission.

If Phone/Remote Services are offered, ignore them.

If you log into your email account do you see the messages in your outbox?

Here is my operating system I think? IOS 11.2.6

Do you want me to send you the bizarre message that went out to a few of my contacts today?
I see your response in inbox. Not outbox? Did you have a typo?

No I did not.... I'm referring to the "bizarre messages" you first mentioned that your friends are receiving. Do you see them in your Outbox?

I just emailed the suspicious email sent to my sister and etc. she’s the one who told me to look into it. That is not my email they have put with my name liz C****.

Did you receive my copy and paste to you?
Can you send me an email or text to send you this cut and paste?

I don't think you are understanding what I'm asking. Let's approach this another way, how do you feel you've been hacked?

I have had people today March 21,2018 at 2:45 am receive a message with this as from:
Liz Clark ***@******.***
This is not me. My address is Liz Clark at.***@******.***
The link they want you to open is this
http://kind.livvyraesweets.com
IMG_0185.PNG

Thanks. That is not evidence of being hacked, however.

More likely, a spammer (or, even, a virus on one of your friend's Windows computers) is randomly using your name and another email address in an act of obfuscation. They "inject" your details into the headers of the spam they are spreading in order to hide the true sender of the email.

Eventually, the emails should cease (if they haven't already) as they move on to using another email address or the virus is cleared.

The other alternative may be that someone is using your email account directly, if they've gained access to (or cracked) your password. The fact the email address is different and that the sent emails do not presumably reside in your Outbox indicate this is not the case.

Your best bet is to make sure that the friends who have received these emails are running a current anti-malware program if they have Windows-based computers.

Can you figure out anything from this? I have not dared open the address I sent you.

I recommend you do NOT open the address or click on anything in the emails themselves. I have explained above what appears to be happening in this case.

Thank you for that Answer. I’m glad that it wasn’t in my outbox. I couldn’t figure-out why you asked that!
One more thing. Can I install an antivirus program on my iPhone and iPad. I don’t have a computer?

Sadly, anyone can insert a name or address into an email whether it's actually coming from that person or not... It's a bit like someone sending a letter via the post office with your return address listed, even though it was actually mailed from Russia, etc...

iPhones and iPads do not require anti-virus applications. They are very secure as long as no one else has alone time with them physically. The only thing you should do is make sure they are kept updated on their software. You can verify this by doing as follows:

Tap Settings

Tap General

Tap Software Update

If an update is available, it should be installed. Otherwise, you are good to go. :-)

Thanks a John. I always install the updates Apple sends me. Liz
Not a John. Typo!

Great, sounds like you are fine on your end then!

You are very welcome!

When the current question has been answered to your satisfaction, please remember to rate my personal assistance accordingly when you get a moment. However, if you have any further questions on this topic, please let me know at any time.

John TF.
John TF., Apple Consultant
Where do I rate you? *****

Looks like you found it. Thanks very much!