My tech support people (Barrow Solutions) called this am to…

My tech support people...

My tech support people (Barrow Solutions) called this am to say my firewall has expired. They showed me how hackers from "enemy" countries have already latched on to my MAC. They are offering a Sonic Wall NSA 2600 lifetime for $999. We are retired and that kind of money is not in the budget. Please advise re: firewall protection, appropriate costs, etc.

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your Mac?

Oh, I have a MacBook Pro and a MacBook Air - each about 8 years old, to protect. Will check now for OS.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Mac? What have you tried so far?

MacOS High Sierra for the Pro

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

Version 10.13.3 for the Air; same for the Pro. I did have a fraudulent charge on my banking account for MacKeeper for about $100 this morning. That got my attention! I was planning to call Barrows about this when "David" called me. He had tried twice yesterday but I could not talk to him at the time. Strange that firewall "expired" without notice??????????????

3/22/2018
UranIT
UranIT, Network Administrator

Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will try my best to assist you.
Keep in mind that we are not a free service and require payment for our work, which is guaranteed. If you do not wish to pay for our assistance - please let me know now.
You may see some automatic pop-up with offers for Membership or Remote Assistance, please ignore or close them if you do not want it. I have no control over those offers.
Please allow me a minute to review your question and prepare an answer, or I may ask more questions for clarification

The callers are scammers. The software called "Sonic Wall NSA 2600" does not exist/ All they want to do it charge you a lot of money and install useless non -working fake software.

Real firewall software costs $30-100 per year.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I looked for Sonic Wall NSA 2600 on the Web and saw about a hundred offers.......all in the $1000+ range.So what do I do now? Can you recommend several reasonably priced, but effective Firewalls?Or, I guess I should first check to see if I really do or do not have firewalls on my MACs? How to do that?

those are hardware firewalls, not software.

allow me a few moments to give you couple of links

You can try this link for multiple choices of firewall/antivirus software: https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-antivirus,review-2588-6.html

and more on firewall on your computer: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25551?locale=en_US

UranIT
UranIT, Network Administrator
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Confused. Is the Remote Assist available for trouble-shooting or not?

Thank you, ***** ***** your request for Secure Remote Assistance, you will need to download remote connection software and run it so we can connect..
Here are instructions:
Please use link below to start download, then Save, and Open or Run downloaded file, and accept the connection request
LINK --> https://www.898.tv/uranweb

I am waiting for you to connect, so I can work on this directly on your computer, instructions to connect were sent in the last message.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Downloading is taking forever. Meter is jumping around between 25 and 34 min.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just hit the “try again” button.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
21-32

you could just check the link I sent on how to check if firewall on or off.. will be faster: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25551?locale=en_US

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Site can’t be reachedNetwork Diagram won’t run.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OopsDiagnostics!

you can check link later when you have better internet connection

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have 4 bars

you will see if firewall on or off:

Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Security & Privacy, then click Firewall.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Firewall is on the MacBook Air that was experiencing the intrusions.

That's where you should do it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok so I have firewall but obviously it is not working. Get a new one?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Go to Apple store or can I do myself?

Yes, visit to Apple store would be best

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Will do.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Bye

Bye, good luck

UranIT
UranIT
UranIT, Network Administrator