I recently had to have my laptop repaired and in the process…

Customer Question
I recently had to...

I recently had to have my laptop repaired and in the process the hard drive was wiped and then my email viewing program (Thunderbird) was reinstalled and I lost all the addresses in my address book.Is there any way that address book, or a list of contact emails would have been backed up by Optimum?My current webmail Optimum account only shows 6 contacts. Unfortunately, originally I had probably more than 100 many of which were professional or old friends for whom I don't have another record of their email.I hope there is some way to retrieve my former email/address list.Thanks.Carolyn Colwell

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model and Operating System (OS) of your laptop?

Lenovo Think Pad Windows 10

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Lenovo? Have you installed any updates recently?

Yes it was Windows 10 update that started the whole problem. It ate my Thunderbird. Disk had to be wiped because of additional problems. Then Windows 10 Pro and update installed as well as reinstallation of latest edition of Thunderbird

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

Long-time user of Optimum email. My address:***@******.***

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Computer
3/21/2018
Tech Support Specialist: Adam B., Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer replied 4 months ago
Adam B.
Adam B., Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer

Hi Carolyn,

Unfortunately, if the contacts were not backed up, it's not possible to get them back after a hard drive wipe. The file that stores those contacts were located on the hard drive. You can read a little more about how it works here but unfortunately, that's probably not too much use to you at this point. :/ I'd suggest going back through your emails and adding them to your Thunderbird contacts again. Once you've done that, you can then back them up so this doesn't happen again.

Thanks. That's what I thought. However, same email is available via Optimum's webmail and I don't understand why that webmail did not have the address book.

Thunderbird saves the contacts locally on your computer. The Optimum contacts are saved on their server. The two, unfortunately, aren't synced.

Yeah. That's obvious. And that's why I'm wondering why the address book doesn't appear on Optimum's webmail. When I tried to ask that question by sending an email to Optimum Technical Support I was directed to JustAnswer. I guess you have no contact with Optimum in order to answer my question.

Oh no. Optimum has no idea of Thunderbird. Thunderbird is a separate program than what Optimum provides. You were just using Thunderbird on your computer and using it's locally stored contacts to send emails through Optimum's servers. Optimum wouldn't be able to help you.

Optimum's contacts and your Thunderbird contacts were completely separate as you've seen.

Ok so you're saying that I would have had to save the contacts on Optimum's webmail site in order for them to be saved by Optimum. That makes sense. Thanks. Signing off.

yep. OK. Good luck!

Thanks.
Thanks. Signing off.