Windows is not working. It says that it's not installed,

Customer Question
Windows is not working...

Windows is not working. It says that it's not installed

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your computer? And the version of Windows?

ASUS Q504U. Its either windows 8 or 10

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your computer? What have you tried so far?

Its been a month or so. I have tried everything. Someone told me I need to have it reimaged

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

Microsoft Edge was uninstalled and I cant install

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Computer
3/20/2018
Tech Support Specialist: Dan, Computer Support Specialist replied 3 months ago
Dan, Computer Support Specialist

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, I look forward to assisting you today. Do you see anything on the screen aside from the message?

This program does not have a file associated with it please install....

Okay and that is as soon as you power it up?

No. Its when I try and click on anything affiliated with Windows

So you are able to log into Windows?

No. It says the program is not there

Power the computer off and restart it. Once your computer begins to power up, press and hold Alt key, then continuously press F10 key about once per second until you see Acer eRecovery System is running. Select choose an option. Select Troubleshoot to continue. In the next screen, please click reset this PC. Choose remove files and continue to carry out Acer hard reset.

That didnt work. Nothing pulled up

Do you have any USB flash drives connected, and how old is your computer?

USB isnt working either. Computer is a little over 1 year old

Okay. Try again only this time as the computer is powering up, press the F9 key about once per second to see if you can access the recovery menu.

That didnt work either

What if anything appeared on the screen?

It goes to log in page for my password

Can you login with your password?

Okay then I must have misunderstood? You actually have access to Windows then correct?

No. I can log in to my laptop and do google chrome but nothing with windows.

Google Chrome runs in Windows. Windows being the operating system controlling your computer. If you could not access Windows, you would have no access to Chrome either?

Is Chrome the only program you can access?

When I go to any Windows app it wont open. Also, Microsoft Edge is not installed. Dont know if thats is part of problem

It could be. How did you uninstall Edge?

One of the websites I was on looking for answers about the problem said to uninstall then reinstall Microsoft Edge. I was able to uninstall through control panel but could never reinstall.

The Microsoft Edge browser is an embedded program or application on the Windows operating system and cannot be uninstalled, easily if at all. Can you open any programs on your computer by using the Windows key on your keypad?

It goes to the Apps, but when I go to Windows System..configuration etc.. they will not open

If you click on the Windows start icon on the taskbar, does the start menu open?

No. Nothing happens

Does your laptop have a CD/DVD drive?

no

Do you by chance have access to another computer running Windows 10?

Still with me?

Think my computet messed up. I do have another computer with me

Okay. You can create a recovery drive if you have a USB flash drive available?

I have one. How do I do it

Click on the start icon and search for Create a recovery drive and then select it. When the tool opens, make sure Back up system files to the recovery drive is selected and then select Next. Connect a USB drive to your PC, select it, and then select Next & Create. This might take a while so be patient. When it’s done, you might see a Delete the recovery partition from your PC link on the final screen. Do not delete that and select Finish.

I guess I dont have a USB here that holds 8 gb which is required to complete. I will have to purchase one. Can you give me all instructions I will need after I am able to put on USB?

What you will need to do is restart your computer with the USB drive connected. Watch the screen closely for access to your boot menu then select the USB drive as your first boot drive. That should start the repair process.

If you found my assistance helpful, please remember to rate my service. Have a nice day!