I recently downloaded, used and completed an online driving…

I recently downloaded, used...

I recently downloaded, used and completed an online driving course from AARP. Now, no matter how I try, I can't make the windows for that program go away for good. Help!

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your computer? And the version of Windows?

It's an HP Presario.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your computer? What have you tried so far?

I've tried to delete the windows repeatedly over the past week, and as soon as I switch back to Chrome, there they are again. And I did try to use the online info page, but I can't .. get this to work! Fortunately, Microsoft Edge still works, but I don't want to have to stick with it just because I can't use Chrome.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update Edge?

I can't recall.

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Edge?

All I do is use it for web searches and reading my Gmail accounts. Basically, I've been using it for all my internet work. I has to use Chrome for the driving course.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Software Expert to know before I connect you?

Only that I'll need to go to a mechanic's very soon.

3/20/2018
Chris L., Support Specialist

Hello my name is ***** ***** certified computer professional with over 10 years experience. I will be happy to help you. So are you saying every time you open Chrome the AARP window opens?

Chris L., Support Specialist

I can have a look and see what is going on.

Please click HERE and then click agree, a file called elsinore screen connect will download and you need to click that and allow it to run.

You will need to be on a windows computer in order to make the remote connection, if you are not please let me know.

I need to take my car to the mechanic's NOW. I'm sorry, but I didn't know this would take so long.

If you can get me connected I can fix it while you are out. Just click http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=aa620a25-c34d-428b-a837-1a30bc1b636a and then click agree, a file called elsinore screen connect will download and you need to click that and allow it to run.

You can reach me via my cell phone, which I'm taking with me. Just email me via Chrome.

In order for me to connect to the computer I need you to download and run the connection utility on your end. We can always do this later.

When you get home do the following.

Open Chrome

Click the 3 dots on the very top right of chrome and choose setting

Scroll down the settings page until you see On Startup

Under On Startup select Open a specific page or set of pages

Enter the web address you want to open when you first open chrome

Close chrome and re-open and see if this fixes your issue.

If not let me know and I can connect and fix it for you.

Chris,Thank you for your patience. The good news is, I now can get to a different web page. The not-so-good news is that all those driver course pages still are there, and I've rebooted this turkey. I wanted you to help me make them go away, too.

Let me take a look at it.

I waited for you to connect but you didn't and now I need to go offline for the night. Some other things to try are pressing CTRL ALT DEL and choosing task manager, when that opens click more details, next click the start up tab at the top, if AARP is listed there click it and press disable and restart.

Also you could try clearing chromes history if it only pops up when you use chrome.

To clear your browsing history in chrome do the following

At the top right, click 3 dots.
Click History and then History.
On the left, click Clear browsing data. A box will appear.
From the drop-down menu, select how much history you want to delete. To clear everything, select the beginning of time.
Check the boxes for the info you want Chrome to clear, including “browsing history." Learn more about the types of browsing data you can delete
Click Clear browsing data.

FYI, I just got a comment from an "assistant" who wanted an extra $5 from me for more info. I'm starting to feel like this is a racket. I am not a happy customer.
Uh, Chris? It says you're online right now. If that's true, please reply.

I just saw your email, it sounds like you came back to the site not logged in which is why it asked you for $5. Are you on the computer now?

As I said before, I was able to get another web page, but it's still buried behind all those driver's course pages. I want them gone.

Ok I set up a secure session so I could connect but you never did, lets try again. Keep in mind you will need to be on a windows computer for this to work and you need to download and run the connection file.

I'm on a Windows computer right now.