I can't get gmail on my cell. When I try, I'm asked to sign…

Customer Question
Hi. I can't get...

Hi. I can't get gmail on my cell. When I try, I'm asked to sign in. When I do, I'm told the password ***** ***** But it is the one I use on my computer. Then I'm asked to confirm an alternate email address which I haven't used for years and have no record of so I don't know it or the password. My son in in Thailand and I can't email him or text him. Can you help me?

Technician's Assistant: How's your internet connection? Are you checking Gmail from a browser or a mail client (e.g. Outlook)?

On my computer I am checking email from Chrome. I am unable to get through on my cell.

Technician's Assistant: Are there any antivirus or firewall settings that could block you from receiving mail?

Not that I know of. My phone indicates that I have 65 emails but when I try to get to them I am blocked by the request for a password ***** an alternate account.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

No. Thanks. Make sure s/he knows the problem is on my cell not my computer.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Computer
3/20/2018
Tech Support Specialist: PC_Wizzard, Computer Enthusiast replied 4 months ago
PC_Wizzard
PC_Wizzard, Computer Enthusiast

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

You will need to turn on Allow less secure apps

You will need to do this on your PC

Please click on the link below and turn on "Allow less secure apps" then your password ***** work on your phone.

https://www.google.com/settings/security/lesssecureapps

OK So far this is all very confusing. I paid $5 and then ended up on a page asking for various levels of membership. The problem is this. I can't get gmail on my cell because they want me to login but when I do they tell me the password ***** ***** but it's the same one I use on my computer. In no way am I paying $52 to have you connect to my cell. That's exorbitant. I need to be able to text my son in Thailand but I am 70 and on a pension and can't afford expensive services. Surely there's a way to get gmail working on my cell without all this riggamaroll. Please help me.

Sorry about that

All you need to do is to turn on allow less secure apps in Gmail

Are you talking to me from your PC now?