Rec'd call yesterday, from tech claiming to fix my

Customer Question
Rec'd call yesterday, from...

Rec'd call yesterday, from tech claiming to fix my laptop..said he was from Microsoft. I am senior citizen..he said not to speak to anyone else about this, which made me concerned.

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model and Operating System (OS) of your laptop?

Was it Microsoft? or was I scammed

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Microsoft? Have you installed any updates recently?

It was a little slow..update notices are usually addressed

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

Just verify I wasn't scammed

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Computer
3/20/2018
Tech Support Specialist: Chris L., Support Specialist replied 4 months ago
Chris L., Support Specialist

Hello my name is ***** ***** certified computer professional with over 10 years experience. I will be happy to help you. This call was not from Microsoft.

This is absolutely a scam, it is very well known and we see this type of tech support scam often. No legitimate company would ever contact you this way. Your computer does not report its status to anyone. Usually what will happen is once you are in contact with them they will lie to you about issues that your computer does not have such as it is being hacked or has viruses. They will then attempt to charge you many hundreds of dollars to fix the fake issues. What I suggest you do is alert your bank or credit card company immediately and cancel any charge you paid to these people as they did in fact scam you. My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating for providing you a quick answer! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.