I keep getting a message that my Windows 10 Pro license is…

I keep getting a...

I keep getting a message that my Windows 10 Pro license is expiring and must be reactivated.

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your computer?

ASUS COMPU X540SA-SCL

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your computer? What have you tried so far?

About a week, maybe 10 days. I've tried to follow directions in "settings" on my computer.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

I just got a call from Microsoft that my Windows program has been shut down.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
ChrisC
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you today!

If I understand correctly, these are phone calls you're receiving, is that correct?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Messages on my laptop and the last couple of days 2 phone calls.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just paid . Why am I paying again?

That's an optional offer for people who want a technician to connect to their computer remotely. You can ignore it.

Your Windows 10 license never expires. When you purchase your computer you also purchase the license and it is good for life.

The phone calls are well-known scams, so you should just ignore them. Regarding the messages you're getting on your computer, that sounds like you may have some kind of adware on the computer. What are you doing exactly when you get these messages?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I've tried to go to settings and follow the directions to activate Windows license

As I said, once your license has been activated it's good for life.

Where are you getting these instructions from?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
From settings - Windows Activation

Let's take a look at something. . .

If you look at the bottom of your screen on the taskbar, do you see a icon that looks like a manilla folder?

Click on that icon and then you'll see This PC on the left-hand side.

Right-click on This PC and then click on Properties at the bottom of the pop-up menu.

This will bring up the Properties window. At the bottom you'll see where it says Windows Activation and under that it will tell you if Windows is activated or not.

Tell me what it says.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I Don't see properties.

Did you right-click on This PC and then get a pop-up menu with several options?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Found it ....its at the top. It says Windows 10 Pro

Okay, if you're in the Properties window, then at the bottom you should see a heading that says Windows Activation.

It will then tell you if Windows is activated or not.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is activated
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
how do it stop the messages from appearing?

Okay, I suspected as much.

Your Windows license is fine. As I said, once it is activated it is activated for life. You're dealing with scammers.

Sometimes these messages are triggered by certain websites. When they come up are you usually on mainstream sites or visiting smaller websites a little off the beaten path?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You still there?

Yes, did you see my last reply?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
van I stop the messages?

Sometimes these messages are actually triggered by the websites you visit. When they come up, are you usually on a mainstream site like Google or Yahoo or are you on sites that are a little farther off the beaten path?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
On Google

Okay, and when these messages come up do they freeze your screen where it's hard to get them off? Is it like a pop-up that comes up all of the sudden?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Usually when I first turn on computer.

Okay, do they usually come up after you launch your web browser?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It's like a pop up, I hit close and they go off, but they may pop right back up.

Okay, I'm trying to get a feel for when exactly these messages are coming up. After your computer comes up, do you usually launch your web browser and that is when the messages come up?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They usually come up pretty quickly after I turn on the computer.

Okay, and they say that Windows is not activated, is that right?

Also, how long exactly has this been going on?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They say my Windows license is about expire.

Okay, give me about five minutes to write up some information for you.

Please stand by.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm restarting my computer to see if it will come up.

Okay, let me know what happens.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK, it says " Your Windows license will expire soon."
You need to activate Windows in Settings
Buttons for = Go to Settings or Close

Give me just a minute to check something for you.

Okay, that's strange.

Normally remote assistance would require an additional fee but I would like to see this message for myself so I can waive it.

Would you mind if I connected to your computer so we can look at your screen together?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Go for it!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm talking to you on my phone

Hmm, I see.

Let's do this, if you go into your e-mail (the address you registered when you signed up for this service) then you should have an e-mail from JustAnswer and in that e-mail you should have a link to this chat session.

Let's see if you can bring this chat up on your computer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I Don't see it

You don't see a JustAnswer e-mail in your inbox?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm here

Okay, in order to get me connected, here's what I need from you on your end.

Click on the following link:

http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=d77cd387-c9f2-4c59-8906-42e595572c4d

When the next page opens up, click the green I Agree button. This should download a small program called Elsinore.Screenconnect.

Run that program and say Yes/OK to all security prompts and it should then connect me.

ChrisC
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you there,Chris?

I am here but will not be on the site much longer tonight.

How did it go with Microsoft?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not at all.

What happened on the chat that we started?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When? Last night?

Yeah, the chat I put you on with the Microsoft agent.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He cut it off. I don't think they want to address it.

Hmm. . . That's strange.

I mean, it's a licensing issue with their product. It's their responsibility to figure it out.

Did you call?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
20 times! everytime I started to tell them what my issue was I was disconnected. They would answer and hang up. A couple of them told me to stop calling.

Well that's very strange.

Which number did I give you again?

All right. Let me give you another number.

As I mentioned it looks like Windows was installed on your computer through a volume licensing program. Usually this is just reserved for business environments, like I mentioned, but that seems to be the case nonetheless.

Here's the activation number specifically for volume licensing activation:

(###) ###-####/p>

Give them a call and explain what's going on and make it clear that your Windows installation seems to have been installed through a volume license.

If they still don't help you for some reason, then let me know. Like I said, it's their product so they are the ones in charge with activation. But if they don't help you out then I'll do some more research and see what your options are.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can request you when I log back on?

You should have a link that goes directly back to this question in your e-mail, so you should just be able to use that link. You can also bookmark this page.

Or you should also see a link near the top of the main page that says My Questions and that should also get you a link to get back here.

But just come straight back to this page instead of creating new questions.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'll try . I'm real computer savy!

Ha ha, sounds good!

I'll be off the site for the rest of the night but will check in tomorrow.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Chris C, I am being told that my issue is a virus. Can you help ?

That's what Microsoft told you?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Microsoft support. Tried to sell me a warranty.

Was that when you called the second number that I gave you?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That lady sent me a product key that didn't work.

Did you tell her that it didn't work? Did they do any further troubleshooting after that?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I hate to admit, I lost the #. Do you think It's a virus?

The number is ***** here in the chat. I could give it to you again, if you need it.

I don't think it's a virus, just because when I was researching the issue there were other people with the same issue and it seems to be a genuine licensing problem that occurs during certain Windows installations.

The next thing I would probably do if I were you is a Windows reset. The only issue here is that it will uninstall any third-party programs that you have installed since you first set the machine up, so you would need to reinstall those programs.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What would a third party install be?

Basically any program that you installed since you purchased the machine. If it didn't come with the computer, it would need to be reinstalled.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Would I need to purchase Windows again?

No, it's just a process that is built into Windows to essentially reinstall the operating system that's already there.

As I mentioned, I really don't think it's a virus, but if it is then this would take care of it. And this also should re-activate the Windows installation, so because of that it might also fix the activation problem via reactivating the license.

If a Reset didn't work, and Microsoft doesn't seem to be able to help, then I'd think the next step would be to actually take the machine to a local technician who can physically access the computer and diagnose it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Gotcha, how do you do a reset?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'll holler back later. Got run some errands.

It's pretty simple. Just follow these steps:

1. Click on the Start button in the lower-left corner, and then click the Settings/Gear icon in the lower left corner of the Start menu. This should launch the Windows Settings window.

2. Click on Update and Security.

3. On the left, click on Recovery.

4. Click on Get Started under where it says Reset This PC and then just follow the on-screen instructions.

Bear in mind that it will give you two options, one to retain your data/files, and another in which it erases everything. If you don't have any important data on the machine, then I would recommend that you choose the option to erase everything. But if you do, then you definitely either want to choose the option to save your data (and if possible, it still might be a good idea to back your data up).

ChrisC
ChrisC
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast