Not my printer but my computer. 23" hp pavilion all in one…

Customer Question
Not my printer but...

Not my printer but my computer

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your printer?

23" hp pavilion all in one toughsmart 23-h051 all in one

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your printer?

Power comes on but screen is black

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Computer
3/20/2018
Tech Support Specialist: Russell H., Computer Systems Expert replied 3 months ago
Russell H., Computer Systems Expert

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your computer question.

I'm sorry to hear about the 'black screen of death' on your computer. (That is my personal nickname for it, after seeing my best laptop suddenly go black-screen and never, ever, recover from it again. It's a serious problem, for sure.)

Now, it might have a 'dead' CPU, which can happen esp. if the CPU has been running hot for a while.

If it has not had time to cool down and was running hot, power it Off, unplug it from power also and remove the battery if it is removable... then leave it for 3 hours or overnight, and try it again.

If the screen still remains black, no 'flash screen' with the HP logo on first powering it On, just obstinately and thoroughly black, then look closely at the screen several minutes after turning it On, in or very near a bright light or a flashlight. Can you see anything in the dark screen, even faintly, with a bright light?

- if 'yes', your laptop is (relatively) OK! it's just that the backlight in the screen has failed (or occasionally, simpler problems of an esoteric sort), and it will need a relatively cheap repair.

- if 'no', then that isn't it, and your laptop is in all likelihood dead-CPU. Now, if the HP computer is less than a year old, it is still covered by HP's warranty, and you should contact HP at once, to put in a failed-within-warranty claim for free-of-charge repair to the computer.

(If you need contact info for HP, or for a local repair shop to take the computer to, let me know your local zip code, in Reply, and I will give you further instructions.)

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.