I've lost my connection to wifi for the third time. We had…

Customer Question
I've lost my connection...

I've lost my connection to wifi for the third time. We had Geek support out to the house for two times. It worked and gradually we lost the connection. We've had our grandson look at it but no success. Now we have a month-long visitor who will need the connection. I myself am not very great with fixing things over the phone nor online but I need the WiFi connection

Technician's Assistant: Who makes your router?

Netgear, but we got it only last yeat

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far?

I actually haven't tried it fix it. But I will now

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?

The router is in different room in the house- so it will probably slow the process--just to let you know I may take a little time

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Computer
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/18/2018
Tech Support Specialist: David L, Systems Engineer replied 5 months ago
David L
David L, Systems Engineer

My name is David.

The issue you describe is often caused by power anomalies such as power spikes and brownouts that embedded devices such as routers do not handle very well.

To temporarily resolve the issue do the following:

Power down the router and modem that provide your Internet access and unplug the power cord as well. Wait 3 minutes. Then plug in the power cord on the modem first and power up the device. Wait for the modem to completely start up. Next power up the router and wait for it to completely start up. Then reboot your computer after the router/modem has completed start up and test to see if the issue is resolved.

The longer term solution is to protect the router and modem by installing a power line conditioner or UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) such as the device at the link below:

click here

Please let me know the result and if you need further assistance.

We followed your advice but it still does not work. Because the router was soId to us by the Geek service we would rather use them now to solve this problem and stop with your service altogether. I hope we are not obligated to pay the rest of the $47 charge. Thank you, Eileen