My computer won't turn on. when i pressed the on button it…

Customer Question
My computer won't turn...

My computer won't turn on. when i pressed the on button it started beeping an i can't turn it off. i have checked all connections. i don't believe it is the internet connection because the wifi still works.this is a desk top computer.

Technician's Assistant: Are you able to connect using an ethernet cable?

Sorry to be non-tech, but what is an ethernet cable

Technician's Assistant: Which lights are colored and/or blinking on your router?

Power light only

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?

Not that i can think of

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Computer
3/18/2018
Tech Support Specialist: hongkongpom, Computer Support Specialist replied 4 months ago
hongkongpom
hongkongpom, Computer Support Specialist

Hello it sounds like there is a problem with one of the computer boards plugged into the motherboard inside the desktop.

You can turn off the computer and unplug it from the electric plug. Then wait for one hour to discharge the capacitors on all the boards..

If you have a plug in graphics card which gives you the picture on your monitor try unscrewing and removing it from the mother board. Now plug in the computer again and press the power button. If the computer now boots and doesn't make the sound you have the culprit. You can press the power button and hold it in for 5 seconds and the computer will turn off again. Now replace the graphics card to fix the problem.

If you still have a problem then plug the graphics card back in and try another board maybe the sound card. Failing that try unplugging one of the RAM memory sticks. You must have at least one RAM chip in the computer or you will be get an alarm too!

Doing these method of troubleshooting should expose the problem.

the computer won't turn off. ihave tried holding down the power button and it continues to beep.
all the lights are on the modem, but the computer is still beeping.
should i try turning it off?

Hello I cannot connect to your computer because it won't turn on.

If you can't turn off your computer by holding in the power button for 5 seconds on the computer then you will have to pull out the plug.

This problem has nothing to do with the modem. It is a computer problem.

The beeping can also be caused by the computer overheating but you would normally smell something burning or the side of the computer would be very hot.

the computer turned off. should i try turning it back on?

You can try but if you still get the beep then please follow my instructions above by isolating which board is faulty

it started beeping again, but did turn off. so i should unplug for an hour?

Hello you can try to leave it if it's an overheating problem but you will need to follow my instructions to isolate the faulty board if it still beeps.

ok. where is the graphics card? I know, dumb question

Hello it depends on your computer. I am talking about a separate graphics card. You will have to open your desktop and trace the cable coming from the monitor. Does it connect to a card sticking out of the motherboard or directly to the motherboard.

If it's not separate then you must try another card such as audio card which gives the computer sound. Again, only if it's a separate card.

If nothing works, then you will need to take the computer to a professional to test the motherboard itself

ok

Good luck!

Let me know if you find the problem. I hope it's not the CPU (brain) of your computer

There are some good videos on YouTube to help you click me