I'm working on a neighbors Hp Pavilion g series.She had a…

I'm working on a...

I'm working on a neighbors Hp Pavilion g series.She had a black screen but for me draining elect charge and leaving laptop run for an hour I'm able to get colored lines horizontally scrolling down. No sound. Hooking up to an external monitor[tv] No picture or sound.It only has1 ram stick so I can't swap and I have no spares. I checked the power supply un plugged and it checks out.Haven't worked on the inner workings of a laptop much but I am willing to learn. Just need you to tell me which direction to go.

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your Pavilion?

Windows 7 home premium

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried rebooting from a DVD or flash drive?

Her dvd doesn't work{naturally} Never rebboted from a flash drive before

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

That's about all I have

3/17/2018
Jamie Macko
Jamie Macko, Computer Engineer

Thank you for your question today. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist.

From the sound of it, this could be hardware or software related. If it is hardware it may be related to the motherboard not providing the proper current to the screen to display. But supposing it is software related lets try to boot into the last good know configuration. To do this, please follow my steps below:

Starting with a fully powered-down computer, follow the instructions below:

1. Fully power down your PC and make sure it has come to a complete halt.
  2. Press the power button on your computer and wait for the screen with the manufacturer’s logo to finish. While the manufacturer’s logo (HP) is on the screen, your system is undergoing a self-test known as POST in which it identifies connected hardware and brings it to a functional state.
  3. While the logo is still on screen, begin to repeatedly tap (not press and keep pressed) the F8 key on your keyboard. Important note: for some laptops you may need to also simultaneously hold down the Fn key as well. try this if the F8 Key alone does not work. It may take a few tries to get into this advanced boot mode
  4. If the Windows loading screen shows up, then you did not tap the F8 key early enough, go back to step 1.
  5. Otherwise, you should be seeing a screen , titled “Advanced Boot Options.”

The advanced boot options startup menu.

6. Once at the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the keyboard to navigate to the option titled “Last Known Good Configuration (advanced)” and press the Enter key.

Windows will now use the backed-up snapshot of the CurrentControlSet registry key. If your problem was caused by a mis-configuration in the registry during the last boot cycle, this should resolve the problems your Windows PC was experiencing.

Lets try this first. If it fails, then we can do the same drill, but try"Safe Mode with networking" the second time, and see if it boots.

Please let me know the results.

Please let me know if you have any further questions, or need clarity.

If this helps please rate me 5 stars!

Thanks,
Jamie

I should have explained jim.I get no picture. Looking with a bright flashlight at the screen I see no logos. Just a dark blue screen with horizontal pixelated lines scrolling down. At one time I barely could read safe mode when I tried that mode but I haven't been able to get that since. Pressing any function keys or any keys doesn't affect the behavior of the screen.

I see, sorry about that. I though you might be at least getting a BIOS boot screen. From what you said earlier, you have tried an external monitor with no success as well? Is that correct.

It is starting to sounds like it may be a motherboard issue.

Also if you are able to attach an image of what you see on both the laptop screen and the external monitor that would help also. You can take a pic with your phone or tablet and upload it for me.

-Jamie

I should mention Jamie after I power up it takes about 3 or 4 minutes to get the lines but in the meantime if I press ctrl-alt-del the screen goes dark for 5 seconds then goes to the dark blur screen I had before. When I get the lines if I press ctrl-alt-delete I get nothing. Doesn't affect the screen at all.

Thank you for the info and the image that helps a lot.
This seems to be a motherboard issue with a doubt. There is something wrong with the connection that goes from the systems motherboard to the monitor. That is why even an external monitor will not work. Nor can you see anything at boot.

I would suggest replacing that board. I can provide a link to that board replacement, as well as any instructions online I can find. Can you let me know the exact model, as well as any serial numbers on the laptop unit?

-Jamie

product key:6mj3r-gf7xd-2jptd-v7xjm-y3v24-x16-96072. i also see numbers 00196-185-105-023. Lastly Jamie, does a reflow on the mother board work if careful? The laptop is not worth the cost of a motherboard maybe,but she has hundreds and hundreds of pictures she's like to get. BTW,I'm her neighbor and I volunteer to fix her broken items.[cause her husband can't fix anything.}

That's understandable, the motherboard issue should not cause any data loss. The pictures and documents should still all be there. Would you will want to do is pull out the hard drive and plug it into a "drive caddy" Then you can plug it into a different computer and browse the files and copy anything off the drive.
I agree, that the price and time for motherboard replacement usually is not worth it unless the machine is under a warranty.

After the data is pulled off, the drive can then be used as a backup drive to store future data and images on if she would like.

Here is a drive caddy: https://www.amazon.com/DIGIFLEX-Drive-Caddy-Enclosure-Laptop/dp/B002UZO07C

I see that it is a HP Pavilion G series, do you know which G series? I can probably provide instruction on how to pull the drive. It is a very easy process, just takes some screw removal.

-Jamie

Crap,forgot that important piece of info. It's a Pavilion G6. Yes please give me info. I'm gonna be a HERO!!
Never used that little item. Can I pull out pictures and files info even if I don't have a screen??

They always say "not all hero's wear capes"

Here is a instruction set for how to remove the Hard drive:
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03647476

This will help you with removing the hard drive to get it ready for the caddy. Just be sure that you do not have any static electricity built up on you, or else you will shock the drive and wipe it clean.

Once you pull the drive out, and have the caddy, you will just simply plug the hard drive into the caddy. Put the caddy back together, then plug it in via usb to a different computer. At that point the old laptop is just an empty shell with no brain. So you can safely discard it.

If you would like to go the route of a motherboard replacement here is the part:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B008H67DTK/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all

As well as documentation on how to remove and install the new motherboard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyThlufh6XE

Good Luck!

If this helps please rate me 5 stars!

Thanks,
Jamie

Jamie Macko
Jamie Macko, Computer Engineer
Thanks so much Jamie,you were the best help in all the time I've used this venue to get my question answered. Wish they were all this thorough and complete. If there was 10 stars you would get it. have a safe weekend.

Thank you! You as well, it was a pleasure assisting you. Good Luck with everything.

-Jamie