I am currently running Windows XP and want to know how to…

I am currently running...

I am currently running Windows XP and want to know how to upgrade to Windows 7?

Technician's Assistant: What device or product does this involve?

My PC

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your computer?

Dell Optiplex 745

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your OptiPlex? What have you tried so far?

Haven't tried anything ... wasn't sure how to proceed.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

Don't think so

3/17/2018
Eric Ewing
Eric Ewing, IT Pro
Experience: I am a technology professional with 20 years experience, and hold 15 industry certifications (from hardware/software repair to mobility to IT Security, and everything in-between!).

Hi! I'm Eric, a computer expert who's been paired with you through JustAnswer.com. I'm reviewing your question now, and will return w/ an answer soon!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you ... waiting for your reply ..

Hello! Your first step will be to validate that your computer can successfully run Windows 7. Microsoft has created a free tool that does this check for you, which you can download here:

Windows 7 Upgrade Adviser

Assuming your computer "passes," you'll next need to buy Windows 7. It is no longer officially available for purchase (Microsoft ended official retail sales of the product in 2013), but you can still purchase via third parties. Here's a link to Windows 7 available at Amazon.com:

Windows 7

Once received, you can insert the disc into your computer -- it will begin running automatically. When the window appears asking if you want to install Windows 7, click Install Now. The installation wizard will ask you a few other questions (for example, do you want to keep your files?), but once you've answered those the actual installation will occur without further intervention needed.

I hope that helps! Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If not compatible with Windows 7 ... what are my options?

That would depend on a lot of factors. If the problem is hardware-related (too little memory, etc.), you could upgrade the insufficient component and then proceed with your upgrade. If the problem is software-related (incompatible applications installed on the PC), you might still be able to upgrade to Windows 7, but would have to decide if doing so would be "worth it" when the trade-off is the loss of applications you may like to use.

Many folks choose to install Linux -- a completely different operating system -- on their older computers because it runs well on older hardware, but it will not run any current software applications you own. You could also look to purchase a new computer (running Windows 10), which could be had for approx. $100 more (on the low end) than purchasing Windows 7 in the first place.

I would suggest running the upgrade advisor first to see what it says, and -- if you'd like -- we can further discuss the results and see how you want to proceed.

Eric Ewing
Eric Ewing, IT Pro
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Here is the report ... sounds like we just need to buy a new computer?System Details
We had a problem checking your system for compatibility with Windows 7.
Devices Status Details
Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller
Broadcom Unknown We don't have compatibility information about this device.
HP DeskJet 840C/841C/842C/843C
HP Check Windows Update Check Windows Update after installing Windows 7 to make sure you have the latest driver for this device, otherwise it may not work.
5 devices listed as compatible
See all devices
Programs Status Details
Adobe Acrobat 5.0
version 5.0
Adobe Systems, Inc. Known issues You may experience issues running this program on Windows 7.
Adobe SVG Viewer 3.0
version 3.0
Adobe Systems, Inc. Free update available We don't have compatibility information about this version of the program.
Get a free update to a compatible version
DrawPlus 3.0 Update available We don't have compatibility information about this version of the program.
Get an update to a compatible version
FirstClass® Client
version 8.2 (8.200) Update available We don't have compatibility information about this version of the program.
Get an update to a compatible version
Microsoft Office 2000 SR-1 Disc 2
version 9.00.9327
Microsoft Corporation Paid update available We don't have compatibility information about this version of the program.
Get a paid update to a compatible version
Microsoft Office 2000 SR-1 Professional
version 9.00.9327
Microsoft Corporation Paid update required This version of the program will not work on Windows 7.
Roxio Express Labeler
version 2.1.0
Roxio Paid update available We don't have compatibility information about this version of the program.
34 programs listed as compatible
See all programs

It looks like the compatibility issues reported would allow you to install Windows 7, but the experience would be degraded. Given that and the age of your current computer, my recommendation would be to purchase a new PC. Would you like assistance finding one?

Eric Ewing
Eric Ewing
Eric Ewing, IT Pro