Somehow Internet explorer has been set as the default app…

Somehow Internet explorer has...

Somehow Internet explorer has been set as the default app for my Excel files. How do I reset the default app?

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update Internet Explorer?

I have never used Internet Explorer

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Internet Explorer?

Nothing

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/17/2018
John, Computer Support Specialist

Hello and welcome to Justanswer which is a paid independent Q&A and Tech support providing site. My name is***** will be assisting you today. I am sorry to hear that you are having such trouble.

Which version excel are you using ? (2007,2010,2013,2016)

Which version of windows is installed in the PC.Is it Windows 7, windows 8, Windows 10?

Thank you

Note: - Use the reply box just below type the reply in it and click on send.

Excel 2016 and Windows 10
I do not want to securely connect

If you are referring to secure remote assistance message it’s not send by me it’s an automated message from the site and it’s optional so you can ignore and continue in this chat page.

OK please do the following

Click on the Start menu. It's the Windows logo in the bottom left of your screen.

Click on Settings.

Click on System.

Click on Default apps.

Once you are in default apps please let me know.

There is no item "Default apps" under System

Did you open system window ?

I went to Settings, then System. I could not find anything about default apps under System

In system main window check on the left side and you can see display,notification & actions etc check in that list once more.

I checked again. I see all the topics that you mention but no default apps

Then click on start menu then type control panel and press enter see if that opens control panel and let me know.

It opens the "old" version of the control panel and there is an item there called Default programs

Open that please

Done

Now click on set you default programs and in that you can see Excel select that and then click on set this program as default then go back to the previous window and let me know.

Excel does not show as a default program option. I see Internet Explorer or a note that says go to the store.

That is strange go back to the previous window and then click on Associate a file type or protocol with a program.

In this you can see a list of file extensions now look for .xls and then click on change program now browse C drive and locate excel installed location which is in Microsoft office that is in program files or in program files(x86).

When I go to "choose default by file type" for .xls it shows only two options. Internet Explorer or Store

Please go back to control panel and open programs and features and in the list see if Microsoft office is listed if so which version and file size.

Let me know.

There are two versions of Microsoft Office. Office 2003 and Office 2016. Both show Excel

Two versions can cause issues like these i recommend you remove older version and then do a quick repair on the 2016 version to fix this issue.

Did you purchase is office 2016 online ?

I purchased a key card for Office 2016 and then downloaded the app. How do I do a quick repair of 2016?

Did you remove the old version of office ?

No I did not.

You can right click on office 2016 and then select change then you will get the quick repair option.Please try it and let me know the result.

How do I do a quick repair of 2016

I explained that in the above reply if you cannot see it i will resend it.

I cannot find Microsoft Office 2016. I can find Microsoft Office 2016 tools, Excel 2016, Word 2016, etc. but no Microsoft Office 2016

You need to check in the programs and feature not in the programs list in start menu.

I ran quick repair. All is well but nothing has changed.

Did you remove Microsoft office 2003 ?

No I have not and am reluctant to since if I can't get 2016 running properly I won't be able to access my files. I have a work around that lets me access my files which I can use for the time being. I am traveling and need to get back to my desktop computer before I do anything that might compromise my work. When I get back home I will remove Office 2003 from this laptop because it sounds like running Office 2003 and 2016 on the same computer id the problem. Thank you.

One more thing can you open excel 2016 from all programs list in start ?

OK in that case you need to remove office 2003 once you are home and then do a online repair of office 2016 and it will fix the issue.

Are you clear ?

I am.

Good.

If you do not have any further questions please rate me using the rating options (stars) on the top of this page, select the rating and click on submit. If you need any help in the future please use this link to ask for me http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-john/

Sincerely,

John, Computer Support Specialist