I have a Microsoft Surface 3 running Windows 10. For the…

Customer Question
I have a Microsoft...

I have a Microsoft Surface 3 running Windows 10. For the last two years the windows 19 start menu button on the keyboard and on the right side of the Surface, only works after pressing 3 times. I'm able to get around it by pressing CNTL ALT. is there a fix for this?

Technician's Assistant: What Microsoft model do you have?

Surface 3

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your computer? What have you tried so far?

2 years

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

That's it for now

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Computer
3/17/2018
Tech Support Specialist: Pete, Computer Engineer replied 4 months ago
Pete, Computer Engineer

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Pete, I don't see your response?!
I prefer not to remotely connect.

That's ok, you can ignore any automated offers that may pop up - they are sent automatically by the site and not by me.

Thanks for getting back to me! You were offline when I replied earlier this morning.

This problem can happen if Filter keys are turned on.

In the taskbar notification area check if it shows Filter keys are turned ON in your account.

Disable them if they are by double-clicking on the icon and unchecking most of the options.

Let me know if that works for you?

--------------------

Your satisfaction is my priority; I hope I have earned 5 stars today!

Please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars and press Submit at the top of your question page; tips appreciated :)

If my service is lacking and not worth 5 stars yet, please let me know before submitting your rating and I will do my best to assist you further.

Pete.

--------------------

I don't see any filter keys info in the taskbar notification area. I did go to settings > system > Notifications and actions. I turned off banners, sounds for most of the apps. Is that what you're referring to?

No;

1. In Control Panel, double-click Accessibility Options.
  2. Click the Keyboard tab, click Settings in the FilterKeys section, and then click the Use Shortcut check box to select it.
  3. Click OK, and then click OK again.
Hi PETE, filter keys were not turned on.

When you say "the windows 19 start menu button on the keyboard" do you mean the Windows flag button?

Tech Support Specialist: Pete, Computer Engineer replied 3 months ago

Can you go to Settings>System> Tablet mode and check that the Windows button is not turned off there?

I don't see anything there about the windows button, just the taskbar.

What options are turned off there?

Hide app icons on the taskbar in tablet mode
and
Automatically hide the taskbar in tablet mode
Hide he app icons on the taskbar in tablet mode
and

Ok, check that the button has not been disabled:

1. Open up Windows Device Manager
  2. Select "System Devices"
  3. Click on the "Surface Home Button" item in the list
  4. On the "Surface Home Button Properties" dialog box, select the "Driver" tab
  5. Click the "Enable" button.
Okay, were onto something. When I selected system drivers and scrolled down the list, a list of drivers appeared that also have an issue. I updated all my drivers two weeks ago with the exception of these (see attached). I ran the troubleshooter and it couldn't correct it nor tell me the device. The properties screen shows the device as enabled.
So here is my thinking. I should disable the device, then uninstall the device. Either press the update driver button or run my driver update software. Then make sure the Surface Home Button is enabled znd then reboot my system. Let me know what you think. In a little while I'll be away for the day. I'll check for your response later on tonight.

Yes, try disabling and uninstalling it, then restart the Surface and check if it gets detected and reinstalled automatically.

If that doesn't work you may need to try running a Windows repair.

Well now all my drivers are up to date, however, I still have to press the home screen button 3 times to get the home screen to appear or disappear. Shucks, I thought we had it.

Do you have any other keyboards connected, e.g. wireless or bluetooth or USB keyboards?

No

Do you have another keyboard available that you can connect and test the Windows key on?

No I don't. Keep in mind the Windows home button on the right side on the Surface 3 reacts the same way.
NO, NO, NO!!! I do not want to remote connect!!

Ok, I will check if the other experts have any idea on this...