I just set up 2 lenovo monitors and need to work out how to…

I just set up...

I just set up 2 lenovo monitors and need to work out how to get them displaying from my laptop. can you help?

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your laptop?

Windows 10

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried rebooting from a DVD or flash drive?

No. i tried downloading the driver but it didn;t seem to look right

3/16/2018
Richard, Computer Specialist

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Which ports are you using to connect them to the Laptop with?

Please let me know

for 1 of them I have connected to the dockign station with the HDMI and the other is a usb with a blue inside it that matched the dockign station

Ok, and what is the issue you are getting?

both monitors are working but they are saying they are not connecting. When I go into the settings and display on the laptop it says they it cannot detect other monitors
I downloaded the driver for windows 10 and tried to follow the steps in the user guide to update the driver but i could not find the downloaded file to select even though its sitting in my download folder

Are the monitors giving a no signal message?

1 of them says non connection check the signal the other says power saving mode but both screens then go black

Ok, bypass the docking station and connect directly to the Laptop

Does it then work?

I tried the usb with the blue inside directly to the laptop but it still says no connection. There is no HDMI that fits into the laptop for the other one

Which model Lenovo do you have?

carbon x1 gen 5

The laptop has a HDMI port on the Left side connect just the HDMI monitor to it

Does it then display?

its not the same shape

ok.. then you are not using a HDMI cable, this looks to be the issue

Go here to page 19

https://content.etilize.com/User-Manual/1038612418.pdf

Look at the item marked 3, this is what you are trying to connect correct?

I see that but the lead that come with the monitor does not have the same shape. it fits in the docking station but not the laptop

Ok, this is the issue, the lead is not a HDMI lead and this is why you get no signal.

What is the make and model of the monitor?

maybe but the monitor connected with that cable is the one showing low power mode. The one I have connected with the USB is showing no connection

ok. so i just found another cable I had which has the HDMI that fits the laptop and connected it to the monitor and that is working. The monitors are t23i-10 and i bought them from lenovo direct after a 1 hour chat conversation with one of their people who had the details of my laptop
why wouldn't the usb with the blue inside it be working?

Ok, so that's one fixed, with the USB disconnect it from the computer and the monitor, then first connect the monitor to the cable then the cable to the computer and it should then work.

Let me know how yo go please

Thank you

no good. still says no connection on the monitor.

Try again using a different USB port please

I tried it in both ports. Neither worked. Neither has the blue inside it. I can try the lead that has the connectors with the screws but that will only go into the docking station not the laptop

If you only connect it to the docking station, does that then work?

no. the monitors wont work via the docking station but I do have the keyboard and mouse connected via the docking station and they work

Ok, you may have a faulty adapter, can you connect it to another computer and tell me if it works on that please

hang on. I just tied the 2nd monitor using the other cable that has the screw in connections and its worked so both are dispalying now

Perfect!

thank you for allowing me to help you today. My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen then submit before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

thanks heaps

You are welcome and please remember the rating, I am not compensated for fixing your problem unless you perform the rating via the stars at the top of the page then submit as requested please.

Richard, Computer Specialist