I have a brand new Lenovo Think Center M910Z. I am not able…

Good evening - I...

Good evening - I have a brand new Lenovo Think Center M910Z. I am not able to get it to recognize my wireless network. When I go into the section to try and program the network nothing is recognized.

Technician's Assistant: What device or product does this involve?

A Lenovo ThinkCentre desktop

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your ThinkCentre?

Windows 10 Pro

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your ThinkCentre? What have you tried so far?

I just got the computer. I have unplugged and recycled the router, modem, and gateway. I have tried to connect via the network and sharing center with recognizing my network.

Technician's Assistant: Who makes your router, and what device(s) are you connecting to it?

I have an Orbi mesh router by Netgear

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Gateway router or your Lenovo?

I have unplugged and restarted them

3/16/2018
Moses C
Moses C, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer.com, this is a preminum/paid service, thank you for utilizing our service.
I am sorry to hear that you are facing such trouble with your wifi router
I will be the expert in assisting with the issue you are having.

Do you have any device already connected and working fine with the wifi router?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
several. I also called my isp provider and they confirmed that there is no problem on their end and that it is a hardware issue on the computer.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How can you remotely connect if I have no internet service?

can you directly connect the Lenovo Think Center M910Z to teh wifi router on the ports availble at the back of the router

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It already is connected

do you have internet when its connected to the wifi router?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No - that is the problem!! The computer is not recognizing my network.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is not recognizing any network

you will have to connect using a lan cable to connect the laptop to the wifi router physically.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is not a laptop. It is connected to the router physically

Its an all in one desktop thats fine.

Is it connected hard wired to the wifi router?

try to open web browser and check if you can access the internet

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I cannot
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It doesn’t sound like you can help me. Thank you for your time.

you are unable to get to the internet on your lenovo computer if you connect it to the Ethernet port?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That is correct

you need to connect the computer using a good Ethernet cable and connet it to the lan port of the router and then try to access google

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This is not working. It is a hardware issue in the computer that I was hoping you could help me program. If you had read my initial responses you should have nderstood this. This has been a complete waste of my time.
Sheri
Sheri, Expert

Thanks for using JustAnswer. I am happy to assist you with this issue. I am a networking technician. First, are other devices able to connect to your mesh network and get on the Internet, such as mobile devices or other computers? Let me know so we can go to the next step.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Good morning Sheri - the network is working fine. I hooked up my old computer because I have already lost 2 days of work and am seriously behind. It is a programming issue with the network adapter on the computer. I am running Windows 10 Pro. If this is something with which you can help me, that's great.

Part of my troubleshooting to narrow down the issue on your new computer requires me to ask you some questions, which have a purpose in my deduction of the issue, since I am not onsite. So, it sounds like you are answering yes, other devices are having no issue getting on the network and Internet both. So, let's go to the next step. (although you may have covered some of these steps with the prior tech, please allow me to go through the process so I can solve your problem.) I appreciate your patience. Go to the search on the bottom of the screen and type device manager and select it from the list. Once in there, expand the Network category. For each of the adapters do this: (ethernet, and wifi adapters, right click and choose update driver. Then choose search automatically for updated driver software. Then, if presented, allow to search Windows Update. If a new driver is found in this process, allow it to update. Then test. Let me know the results so we can go to the next step.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

Sheri
Sheri, Expert
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you- they were all up to date.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a feeling this might be a hardware issue and difficult to fix over chat. Thank you for your prior response as it shows I did do the correct troubleshooting myself. I am going to call an on-site tech to go to the next step.

Ok, go to the search bar and type command to bring up a command window. At the prompt, type ipconfig /all and tell me what ip address and gateway it shows you are connected to

It wouldn't likely be a hardware issue if it's both ethernet and wifi. It is likely a configuration issue, possibly with ip addressing, DNS, etc.

It could also be a Mac address filtering issue on your router not allowing that device. There are many factors to check. We are just getting started at this level

But, if you are resigned to that fact, I understand. It's up to you whether you wish to proceed.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

Sheri
Sheri
Sheri, Expert