I have an hp notebook windows 10 it's stuck in perpetual…

Customer Question
I have an hp...

I have an hp notebook windows 10 it's stuck in perpetual reboot..my 14yr old says happened after attempting and update however I cannot get into safe mode to get it online because of reboot problem and it will not system restore because resource protection cannot for some reason and in command prompts I've tried all YouTube solutions which something is write protected but can't figure out what in sfc and am just baffled

Technician's Assistant: Does your network appear in the Wi-Fi list on your laptop?

I cannot get into desktop or in safe mode

Technician's Assistant: Which lights are solid and which are blinking on your router?

My Wi-Fi is fine I'm on it now with this phone

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

How much does this cost

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Computer
I have gone to automatic recovery options and tried quite literally all of them and either it gets stuck in reboot on the way to safe mode desktop or it says it cannot complete or perform any of the actions I try including advanced command prompts
Therefore I can't get to desktop to enable wifi to allow remote connection from a tech or I would love too
Hello..i played for fast answers is anyone there it says my wait time is up
Please help
Am doing a system extensive test now but there is 3 hours remaining
3/15/2018
Tech Support Specialist: Aaron B, Computer Support Specialist replied 3 months ago
Aaron B
Aaron B, Computer Support Specialist

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you. sfc stands for system file check. If your able to boot into Windows 10 normally, you can find command prompt by right clicking the Windows logo in lower left corner. Choose "Search".

Type in "cmd" without quotes into a search box. Right click on "Command Prompt". Choose "Run as administrator" from a pop up menu.

A black command prompt window will open. Type in the following command and hit your enter key:

sfc /scannow

I recommend running an sfc scan three times. Also, you can run the following chkdsk command:

chkdsk c: /f /r

A chkdsk command can take hours to complete. You can complete the following commands from any command prompt with administrator rights. Even when booting off of recovery media.

Thanks,

Aaron

I have done this and says cannot perform this
I cannot log In normally or in safe mode it only reboots over and over so I have no way of connecting it to my wifi so that you can connect
Please read my first question it explains this

Are you able to run it with administrative rights? You need administrative rights to run both chkdsk and sfc. Do you have another computer with Windows 10 installed on it?

If so you could create a recovery drive with that other computer with Windows 10 installed.

I have no other computer so during the perpetual reboot I hit f11 over and over til I get into recovery system I have tried every option under this and it just says it can't or if I pick safe mode it gets stuck rebooting or brings me back to recovery screen again and yes under admin I've done the command prompts

Do you have any important data on that computer? You might be able to perform a factory recovery with the F11 menu. If Windows 10 was installed when you bought that laptop then it would reinstall Windows 10 for you.

However, a factory recovery would remove all your files and programs.

It seems every solution requires safe mode desktop which I cannot get to but I can get into command prompts and have run both chkdsk and scan with no results and no important data so I tried factory reset says cannot complete or resource protection stops me from creating a restore point I've tried both
it came with windows 10
Right now as we speak I'm in the system extensive test which says 3hours remaining but I don't know if this will help if not I can get out so we can go into command prompts together

It is up to you. That diagnostics should test the hard drive.

Ok so if I let it go..when it's done can I get back on here and tell you the results? Will you be here in 3 hours? Will this charge me more? And will this test attempt to repair anything?
Does it help you if I tell you what has already passed on the check? Or where were at now?

The diagnostics test will only test your computer hardware ie. memory, hard drive, DVD drive etc. It won't fix your problem. Yes I will be available in 3 hours.

Yes if you tell me the current results. The hard drive test might tell whether or not the hard drive is failing. It could also be that the drive is just corrupted which can be fixed with sfc and chkdsk scans.

Ok what I see now...battery check processor check wireless module check system board check hard drive smart hard drive short dst hard drive optimized dst hard drive long dst all of those say PASSED so now it's doing memory extensive check in progress..so do I need to continue? What is your opinion
Or I can go into cmd and see if we can do this together

As long as all the hard drive tests passed and completed you could stop the testing.

Btw there is no DVD drive on this so if I did have to reinstall Windows it would have to be a download which I cannot do without a desktop..ok so I'm going to go into command and when I get there you can tell me what to type

OK.

Wait there is a firmmanagement thing where I can update or rollback my bios should I do this?

It is up to you.

Well your the tech lol I don't even know what that does
Anyway I'm in cmd blackscreen so please I'm begging you (And paying) you to please help me figure this out I really need this laptop and I couldn't afford to do the hp support

It will update the BIOS. BIOS stands for basic input output system. You can upgrade the BIOS but don't think that is the problem at hand.

Please type in this command and press enter:

sfc /scannow

There is a space between sfc and a forward slash.

Ok good cuz I didn't do it so anyway here I am and the last time I did chkdsk or scan it was off a video so I don't remember what to type
Ok hang on doing that
Ok scanning

Excellent it can take a few minutes for that to complete. I recommend running it two more times.

Ok so when it's done do the same command two more times? Ok the last time I did it it got stuck on 67 percent for 2 hours lol hopefully not this time were at 67 now
Ok it's done it says 100 and that resource protection could not perform task..should I still do it 2 more times?

Yes, please.

Not task it says requested operation sorry cannot perform requested operation
Ok
Ok done still says cannot perform required operation

Alright can you now type in this command:

chkdsk /f /r

It can take hours to complete a full chkdsk scan. Also, if that scan finishes quickly then it didn't scan your C: drive. Run a chkdsk scan on these drive letters until it finally kicks off a scan that takes a long time.

A: B: C: D: E: F:

This type of file is ntfs is what it says
Cannot cannot lock current drive

Type Y for yes and hit enter.

It doesnt ask me a question it just says windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected

Try typing this instead:

chkdsk C: /f /r

Ok it's on stage 3 of that process now

ok sounds good. I still recommend running a chkdsk on these volumes:

a: b: c: d: e: f: g:

I do not know which drive letter contains windows 10. Also, it is possible that your recovery partition is corrupt and I do not know what drive letter your recovery partition is located on.

how do I find this out
does this repair anything or just check it
this is c drive right now right so I don't have to do this one again Right?

That is correct you dont need to scan C: again. Yes chkdsk stands for checkdisk. It looks for corrupt files and bad sectors. It will try to fix any corrupt files and mark sectors as bad.

Both chkdsk and sfc tools try to repair files.

Ok great it's on stage 5 now then I will try other letters when that is done how will I know if it's fixed. ..do I just restart and see if it logs in?

It will tell you if it found any problems and whether or not they were fixed. Once you finish with the chkdsk scans you can just reboot your computer. Hopefully, it will fix the boot loop problem.

At the very least it will allow Windows 10 to boot normally. Also, it may repair the recovery partition if it is corrupt.

Sweet thank you so much

You are welcome.

One more question this one still the first one says volume name is ***** ***** does that mean it is where my windows is located?

It could be or where the recovery partition is located. If it takes an hour or two to scan very likely it is where Windows 10 is located.

It just finished and said windows has made corrections then at the end says failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50
Tried a and it said cannot open file for direct access..did I not type it right?
Volume not file sorry
I'll try the other letters but that's what a said

chkdsk a: /f /r

If it does not work you can skip to the next one. That drive letter might not be used.

Same with b as well
we just did c so I'm going to d
It's doing d

Excellent.

This one is done said found no problems on to e
Ok no e and no f so is that It? Do I try to restart?
my x one which is my command letter is the one that says write protected

Yes I would reboot now. Keep your fingers crossed.

Holding breath and hitting power
I just get hp logo..black screen hp logo black screen etc...i want to cry...reboot stuck in a loop again

When you press the F11 key to get into system recovery, is there a factory restore option? Have you tried the repair option as well?

when doing factory restore it says there was a problem resetting no changes made..when doing a restore point says there is none and won't let me create one because resource protection cannot and start up repair I just clicked said attempting repairs and then couldn't repair pc and gives me a log file
I'm so upset what else can I do there has got to be a way to fix this��
What is firmware and would that do anything?

You could try running chkdsk on the C: drive a couple more times. Other then that you would need recovery media. If your computer is new enough you might be able to purchase recovery disc(s) from HP.

Firmware is read only software. You could try upgrading firmware but not sure it will help anything.

But recovery media can't help me without a cd/DVD Rom right? There is none on this note book
if I can't get to desktop I can't even download recovery stuff right?

They sell USB flash drives.

Ok so if I put it in but I'm stuck in a reboot how would that work? It would just fix it or would I need to be in safe mode because it won't let me..i just don't want to buy something and not be able to use it

You would boot off of that USB recovery flash drive instead of using the F11 recovery option. A recovery flash drive would allow you to reinstall Windows 10 and or perform startup repair, chkdsk, sfc, etc. I can send you a link to their order form if you want.

please..so if I put it in and hit power the pc would just automatically boot off the flash drive? Because I have no way to click on it or prompt it to open since I have no desktop
Any idea why this won't let me run sfc? Just curious and yes I'd like the link

Windows 10 might be corrupt. It depends on what HP you have. There is a key you press so that you choose what device to boot from.

You might have to mess around in the BIOS to get it to boot off the USB flash drive. Is your laptop still under warranty?

https://support.hp.com/id-en/document/bph07143

No warranty was up in November so I go into firmware settings and then what do i look for to boot off another device like a usb or what is the key I press and when..i have the energy Star hp notebook

You would press the ESC key and then press F9 or F10 after you power on that notebook.

At the same time or one then the other? I'm going to go see if I can order this now

Press the ESC by itself. Then when another screen opens up you would press F9 or F10 or whatever keystroke it recommends. You want to look for a boot menu or boot options.

then it will show me the usb option? Ok thank u
I'm doing chkdsk on c and d again any other ideas before were done?

It will show a menu where you can decide what device to boot from. ie. hard drive, DVD drive, USB drive etc. No I don't have any other ideas at this point.

It just finished c and this time it said found no problems lol ugh

Make sure you do not have any external devices installed ie. external hard drive, usb flash drive, printer, etc the next time you try to boot Windows. Windows 10 can be flaky at times.

No external drives it's been doing the system extensive test since we last spoke it still has 5 hours remaining
Also I don't know if this helps but I couldn't update bios and when tried to do rollback it only had one image file to choose and said it did not pass validation