I purchased a copy of office for mac. Began to follow the…

Customer Question
I purchased a copy...

I purchased a copy of office for mac. Began to follow the directions contained in the package I received beginning with going to office.com/setup. I then got to the screen asking for the product key which I entered. Immediately an error code came up along with a phone number for the US. It was answered by a men with an Indian name and accent, and he immediately wanted to take control of my computer. Up went the RED FLAG. It all sounded suspicious, so I ended the call. He gave me his name and said his company which, as best I could understand. Additionally, he gave me the company phone number 1-***-***-**** and said his name was Dopal. Sounds fishy to me. What Up?

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your Mac?

Ray Jennings

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Mac? What have you tried so far?

Only what I just typed. The package arrived a short while ago. I ordered it thru apple since they were helping me with a problem. I have an office disc that is a number of years old and was unable to furnish the product key for it, thus requiring me to purchase a new copy. R

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

Only that we will have to talk by phone since yahoo has blocked my email connection password ***** result of upgrading mu OS to high sierra. I'm working to fix it now, but its not been fixed yet.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Computer
As I explained above, I don't have access to my email at the present time. Please help me over the phone. Do you want my phone number?
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Can we talk by phone?
There are no supporting documents. All info is contained in my original message.
What's happening?
Pls respond,
3/15/2018
Tech Support Specialist: Ugo A, Computer Software Engineer replied 3 months ago
Ugo A
Ugo A, Computer Software Engineer

Good afternoon,

My name is Ugo. After reading your question, I want to know :

1) Where you purchased your Microsoft product from?? If it wasn't office.com or the microsoft store, we might have a problem

2) if have restarted your Mac (with all discs removed from the computer) and attempted to access different internet websites . Are all of the website accessible as before you attempted the install ?

I did some research on the number that you posted and it seems that the company associated with that phone number might be a scam company.

Please let me know. Thanks.

I purchased the product from Apple. The senior technician who helped me with the installation of high sierra said that Apple could sell me the product, and since I was having trouble with ordering it through India, this seemed the best option. And it was very simple.Not sure how to answer the 2nd question, but I'll try. I have restarted the computer with the new OS and it has been running fine for 3 days. However, I can not access my email account at yahoo since they locked my password. I have emailed yahoo, and they have sent me a list of questions which need to be answered through my wife's iPad. Not done yet since I'm trying to install office. I'm not sure what you mean by "all discs removed", but there are no discs in the unit. The only disc that i put in was my old office disc, but ai do not have the product code number for it which caused me to have to purchase this new one.I believe all of the websites were accessible before attempting the install.I'm glad that I became suspicious of that site possibly being a scam. But how did it intercept the instructions I was following in the package that came from M-soft albeit thru Apple?
You asked me if you can access my computer. How do I know that you are really a M-soft employee?

?

I as a contractor have not asked to access your computer at all during this session (justanswer.com). At this point, I'm focused on giving you text-based troubleshooting advice.

I'm just trying to figure out how a product that you purchased from Apple could lead you to calling a scammer on a product (ie iOS/Mac) that is not supposed to be susceptible to viruses or malware.

The only other thing I could believe is that the store itself would not be an official Apple store. Is this the case ? Did you go to a contractor that offers services affiliated with Apple products, but does not actually work within an Apple store like the one's you would find in a mall ?

Ugo A
Ugo A
Ugo A, Computer Software Engineer