I have Windows 7. Lately I have been getting the Low Disc…

I have Windows 7...

I have Windows 7. Lately I have been getting the Low Disc Space message. I tried removing programs to free up space. But apparently it hasn't worked. And now I find I am down to 1 MB space. And I seem to be losing various computer uses--such as printing or sending an attachment to email. I did go online for solutions. Speedy Fixer didn't work because I didn't have enough space to use it--and neither did Fix Error. Is there anything I can do?

Technician's Assistant: Who is your email provider (Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook, etc.)?

AOL

Technician's Assistant: How do you usually access your email? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?

Through a web browser, sometimes by Kindle

Technician's Assistant: What troubleshooting have you tried?

As I said, I tried what the Low Disc Space suggested, removing various programs from my computer that were listed. Unfortunately there was no way to know if any of them were really needed. But I kept getting the message that I needed to free up 300MB of space. That didn't happen and now I seem to have only one MB of space. I also, checked on some online sites with suggestions. Tried to download speedy fixer but got the message that it couldn't be done because I didn't have enough space. Also tried to download Fix Error and had problems getting that, also.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

Yes, I have Microsoft protection. But yesterday morning I noticed I no longer had it. I quickly ran a scan and regained the protection. But I am afraid I might have been hacked during that unguarded period

3/15/2018
Jamie Macko
Jamie Macko, Computer Engineer

To clean up temp files:

1. Press the Windows Button + R to open the "Run" dialog box.
  2. Enter this text:
    %temp%
  3. Click "OK." This will open your temp folder.
  4. Press Ctrl + A to select all.
  5. Press "Delete" on your keyboard and click "Yes" to confirm.
  6. All temporary files will now be deleted.
    Note: Some files may not be able to be deleted. If you are prompted about files that are missing or in use, click the check box next to "Do this for all current items" and click "Skip."

My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist. Sorry for the accidental response. Here is a full response for you that I was in the process of creating.

Lets first start with cleaning up temp files.

To clean up temp files:

2. Enter this text:
    %temp%
  4. Press Ctrl + A to select all.

Next check to see if you have enough disk space to install a program called WinDirStat which will show you your disk usage

https://www.fosshub.com/WinDirStat.html

If you would like I can also provide remote assistance and assist with this. You may need to clean up enough space to allow remote assistance however.

Next go to this folder location:
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp

And select all items again like in the steps above with using ctrl+A and delete all of these items as well.
    All temporary files in this second location will now be deleted.

Please let me know how you would like to proceed and how much space you get with these tricks first. We can continue troubleshooting if necessary.

If this helps please rate me 5 stars!

Thanks,
    Jamie

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am still waiting for a confirmation of my Secure Remote Assistance Request. I'm looking forward to your help. I just got another low disc space warning.

Ok, please use this link to start the remote session:

http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=b7db86c0-c38b-496b-aaa8-b1d5719dc4db

You will need to download and run the program and it will go through the connection process.

-Jamie

Jamie Macko
Jamie Macko, Computer Engineer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I could not download the program. I got the message that I didn't have enough disc space! Exactly what I wanted to correct! If there is no other solution, then I will have to cancel my payment of $39.

There are other solutions. I will need to you clean up those temporary files I stated earlier so that we can get enough disk space to at least start the remote session.
Please try the steps above, which should free up enough space to start.
Also please make sure that you right click your Recycle Bin, and select to empty the bin to get all the space back.

Let me know your results.

-Jamie

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm sorry. I tried to follow your directions. They didn't work for me. If there is no way you can directly access my computer and fix the problem, then I do have to cancel the purchase. I am an older lady and obviously no computer expert.

Due to the fact that your computer space is so low, there is no way to start the remote access until you free up a little more space. Once you get a little more space free, I will be able to remote in and continue from there.

Please try restarting the computer if you have performed the tasks already. After the restart, make sure your recycle bin is empty, and try the link for remote access again.
I will be here standing by, so please take your time and we will be able to get this resolved.

If after you have done these steps and if you can still not get remote assistance going we will continue to the next step.

-Jamie

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay, I kept freeing up space from the programs I was sent by when I clicked on the Low Disc Space site. The problem is that I don't know if there are other programs I should be deleting--from other sites--or even if the ones I am deleting presently are ones I actually need. So I am going to stop now and cancel. I'm sorry. You have really tried to be very helpful. But it just seems to be too complicated for me to adequately be of any help.

Sorry you are still having issues. If you want to view the list of install programs, and the correct place to uninstall them you can find that here:

Click Start button (bottom Right cornor) and just start typing Control Panel. Once this comes up either click enter or click on Control Panel. Go to Programs and Features (if your Control Panel is in Category view, go to Uninstall a Program).
Find the program you want to uninstall, (any programs you see here can be safely uninstalled) click it to select it, and then click Uninstall. You'll see a pop-up window asking if you're sure you want to uninstall this program, click Yes and click through the uninstall wizard, if applicable

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm sorry. I already have been doing exactly what you just said ever since I started getting the "disc space" message. It apparently hasn't helped. My disc space has actually seemed to decrease, rather than increase, and other features on my computer have stopped working properly. I don't want to waste any more of your time Thank you anyway.
Jamie Macko
Jamie Macko
Jamie Macko, Computer Engineer