I recently switched from phone to cable internet. I bought a…

Customer Question
I recently switched from...

I recently switched from phone to cable internet. I bought a Netgear device. I have to call multiple times per week to re-start the internet connection. The cable company, of course, tries to point the finger at Netgear. Is there anything I can check on my device to refute their accusation?

Technician's Assistant: What NETGEAR model do you have? And the Operating System (OS)?

AC1600 WiFi Cable Modem Router. Microsoft whatever is 'current.'

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your NETGEAR phone? What have you tried so far?

Cannot reach the internet so I call Comcast and it pretty quickly offers to reset my signal, saying it can take up to ten minutes. Only one time did it take two calls.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Smartphone Expert to know before I connect you?

I do NOT have a smartphone, or a cell phone. I got a new computer this year, then switched from the stagnant phone internet service to cable internet. Cable internet usually works quickly, WHEN I can get to the internet.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Computer
3/15/2018
Tech Support Specialist: Sheri, Expert replied 4 months ago
Sheri
Sheri, Expert

Thanks for using JustAnswer. I am happy to assist you with this issue. You could try removing the Netgear router for a few days and setting the Internet up to use just their router. Then if you still have an issue, you will know it's their router or connection. Also, to properly use their router along with yours, the optimal setup would be to put their router in bridge mode so it just functions as a dumb modem and then have your router do all the NAT (network address translation-which is the firewall), ip addressing, wifi, etc. Otherwise, you may experience dropoffs due to competing routers.

I hope that helps. Just reply with any question.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

That is NO HELP at all.
Thanks loads...

Well, that is the only way you can prove the issue is on their end. By removing YOUR equipment. Not sure what else you are expecting. I am opting out. Good luck.

Tech Support Specialist: David L, Systems Engineer replied 4 months ago
David L
David L, Systems Engineer

My name is David.

To identify the root cause of the issue, login to your router and go to the administration pages and view the log file for errors, especially right after a drop off/service failure. Then login to their device (the modem) as well and do the same thing. What you are looking for is service failure that happens on the modem but not on the Netgear, and a description of the error in the log file on the modem that Comcast has likely not investigated. If you need assistance logging into the Comcast provided modem, check on the modem and underneath the modem for a sticker that has the username and password ***** to login, and the IP address of the modem may be on the sticker as well. If it is you can access the modem by connecting your web browser to the modem by entering the IP address of the modem into the address bar near the top of your web browser then entering the username and password ***** the sticker when prompted.

If you need assistance with any of those steps just let me know.