We have recently upgraded one of our office computers from…

We have recently upgraded...

We have recently upgraded one of our office computers from Windows 7 to Windows 10 Professional. Whenever opening a Word document, the system is requiring that the document be converted from a .doc document to a .docx document before it can be edited. My questions are: Sorry, continuing. Questions are: (1) is there a work around for this; and (2) if not, can the older version of Word be loaded on Windows 10 Professional and used with that operating system? Thank you.

Technician's Assistant: Which programs (name and version) are you experiencing this issue with?

Word

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried the Repair option, found through Windows' Control Panel? (If that option isn't showing up, the Microsoft Office Expert can help find it in a moment.)

What are we repairing? Word is working, it just will allow editing of .doc documents and when converting them to .docx documents, the formatting changes.

Technician's Assistant: The Microsoft Office Technician will be able to walk you through that. Anything else you want the Microsoft Office Expert to know before I connect you?

No. Have them call Shelly at(###) ###-####please

3/14/2018
Martin, Network Engineer

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don't miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

You should be able to open it and save it as a .doc file once you're done editing it.

If you go to File > Save As does it not give you the option to save it as a .doc or .rtf?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When opening the .doc documents, it only shows the first page. Unless it is "saved as" a .docx documents, the entire document will not open and cannot be edited. I want to know if this is a glitch in the Microsoft operating system, if there is a work around to this so that every document worked on does not have to be re-saved as a .docx document, or if the older version of Word will work on Windows 10 Pro and this can be avoided.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't want you to connect. I want you to tell me if any of this is possible and how, please.

Feel free to ignore the automatic offer for remote - can you try what I suggested?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is not my computer and the attorney who is having the issue is locked in his office in a meeting. Can I get back to you in a little while after we try this?

Sure, no problem!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks; I'll keep this chat open until I can get to that computer.

One other thing, let me know which version of Word he's using.

Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Martin: I'm back. Sorry for the delay. Your suggestion helped somewhat, but did not solve the problem. I'm guessing he'll have to learn to live with this unless you have any other suggestions.
In addition, he has had horrible problems with Outlook 365 freezing up and crashing. This happens most often when he is composing or sending a lengthy email. Any suggestions for this problem.
As you can tell, Windows 10 has been a nightmare for him since it was installed. I'm in the process of finding new a IT company but in the interim, I would love to get these problems fixed.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can't find that nor can I find the version under help. I'll get back to you when he's off his machine.

Ok, let me know what version it is so I can give you more concrete instructions to follow

It might be favorable to arrange for a remote session with him directly so I can fix it directly

Martin, Network Engineer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Good Morning Martin:
Finally got a chance to sit down at the computer. It is Word 2016. The "Confirm File Format . . ." was never checked. Any other ideas?
Martin, Network Engineer