I don’t remember my password. Dell laptop. How do I find…

I don’t remember my...

I don’t remember my password

Technician's Assistant: What device or product does this involve?

Dell laptop

Technician's Assistant: What's the model and Operating System (OS) of your Dell?

How do I find that out

Technician's Assistant: The Laptop Technician will be able to walk you through that. What have you tried so far with your Dell? Have you installed any updates recently?

Yes. Windows

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/14/2018
Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist

I'm sorry about the issue. What type of password ***** ***** such as email password, computer's login password, Wi-Fi password, etc.?

What email do you use, such as Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail, AOL, etc.?
Does your computer have Windows xp, vista, or 7, 8, 10?

Please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help. Thank you.

Computer logon
Aol
Windows 10

Do you mean you are not able to open any program on your Dell Windows 10 laptop?

Does it show a name or username at the password ***** login screen?
Does it show an email address at the password ***** login screen?

Do you have another working Windows computer?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

I can’t get passed the main page. Does my name but wants a pin
Now it looks like it is doing more updates
Normally I bypass pin

If you use the Sign-in options and select the Password ***** besides your name, does it also show an email address?

No

Is it okay to reset the computer fresh, so you can re-set it up fresh, like brand-new, with a new password ***** want?

Sure
Just restarting mow

Solution #1:

1. At the password ***** login screen, press and keep holding the Shift key on the keyboard.
  2. Click on the Power icon at the bottom right of the computer's screen, then click on the option Restart while still holding the Shift key.
  3. When a menu appears, then you can release the Shift key.
  4. When prompted, click on the Troubleshoot option.
  5. Then select the option Reset PC, and continue.
  6. When prompted, select the option "Removing everything" and "Just remove files.", and continue.

- Does that do anything? Please let me know. Thank you.

Will I lose files?

Yes. Do you have backup? What kind of files is it?

Can’t do that then. Will try other pins and go to Microsoft store. Tx

You would need to take out the hard drive, then plug it in another working computer via an external USB hard drive adapter, then you can get your files out first. I'm not sure if Microsoft store does that service, otherwise, you can try Best Buy or Staples, etc.

- Once that is done, you can use my solution to reset the computer. Another method to reset the computer:

Solution #2:

1. At the password ***** login screen, click on the Ease of Access icon at the bottom; it looks like a timer icon.
  2. Click on the On-Screen Keyboard option.
  3. Click on the Shift key option at the left of the On-Screen Keyboard on the computer's screen.
  4. Click on the Power icon at the bottom right of the computer's screen, then click on the option Restart.
  5. When prompted, click on the Troubleshoot option.
  6. Then select the option Reset PC, and continue.
  7. When prompted, select the option "Removing everything" and "Just remove files.", and continue.

- In the future, I recommend to back up your files regularly, i.e., to an external USB hard drive. You never know if there will be something wrong with the computer.

Please let me know if there is still any issue later on. Thank you for your patience.

Tx

You're welcome.