I am new to Windows and have several questions. Is there…

I am new to...

I am new to Windows and have several questions. Is there some web site that can get me started?

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your computer? And the version of Windows?

I have an Acer all in one computer, windows 10

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your computer? What have you tried so far?

I have been usingthis machine for about a week. Several issues have come up

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

I am in my 80's and need step by step counselling

3/13/2018
ChrisC
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast

Hi, my name is Chris!

If you can let me know what some of the questions you have are, then I can try to select a proper resource for you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
how can i open an email attachment in PNG
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i do not want a secure remote assistance!!!!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
please cancel secure remote assistance. I am on fixed income and can't afford extras
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
how can I open a png file that is in my email?

Hi, my apologies on the slow reply. When I did not receive a response to you I moved on to help another customer.

If you have a PNG that is attached to the e-mail, then you should be able to open the attachment directly. Windows may ask you what program you want to use to open the file and you may see one called Photos. Choose that and tell it to open and it should then open the file for you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am sorry I missed your reply yesterday.
Windows doesn't give me the option 'Photos' only browse, internet explorer , notepad, wind. media player, wind. wordpad application - none of which open the image.
Pat

That's sounding like your machine is not recognizing the file as a PNG.

Do you know if you're able to actually download the file from your e-mail to your computer?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the email is in my inbox.
another email from the same source arrived lastnight and I have printed one photo thatwas in jpeg but not another in pngps is there some way to make my space bar more responsive? It often does not work betweenwords and I must go back and separate them. pat

Pat, without seeing your screen it's going to be hard to resolve the PNG issue, and I understand you declined the remote assistance offer.

What I am going to do is opt out of the question and open it up to another Expert who can more easily help you over the chat. You will be notified when there's another response.

Benjamin Larson
Benjamin Larson, Computer Hardware Engineer
Hi Pat, my name is ***** ***** I would love to help you with your question about png files.As far as the spacebar is concerned, that sounds like you have a a sticking key. Often you can get a bit of dirt or crumbs from eating by the computer.A couple of ways to resolve this:
1) gently turn the keyboard upside down and gently tap it to get anything out
2) get some compressed air in a can and blow it cleanIf something spilled on it, the keyboard may need to be cleaned.Since you said this is an all in one machine, it is trickier to clean but should be possible to do.As far as the png file, i agree with the previous expert that it will be harder to resolve, but if you are willing to work with me here, I will try to help.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi, benjamin
Thanks for responding. No, no eating or drinking has taken place around the keyboard - it has only been used a dozen times. I need to go to town today, so will not be checking my mail until later tonight. I hope you can help me tomorrow??
(one thing I am interested in is, does this machine have a method for placing my personal photos on the screen as screensaver like I did with my iMac?)
Sure Pat, let me try to respond to each point.1) sounds like you make have a sticky keyboard from the factory then... You can try cleaning it or if you just bought it, I would be sure it's covered under warranty. Since that is almost certainly a hardware issue, I can't fix it from here.As far as your png issue, I found an explanation that matches your question perfectly. Please let me know if it does not make sense and I will help:Windows Photo Viewer can only view .jpg and .jpeg, .tif and .tiff, .png, .gif, .bmp and .dib, .wdp file types.You may follow the steps below:
1. Right click on any one of the picture and select Open With and click Change Default program.
2. Now select the Windows Photo Viewer in the list.
3. Now put a check mark for “Always use a selected program to open this kind of file”.
You may also try opening the same picture using Paint and check if you are able to open without any issues.
Check if you don't have file extensions displayed by default, right-click on an offending image and look at the file's name.
If you have not set it as default program to open images, do this :
Change which programs Windows uses by default
A default program is the program that Windows uses when you open a particular type of file, such as a music file, an image, or a webpage. For example, if you have more than one web browser installed on your computer, you can choose one of them to be the default browser.
Open Default Programs by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Default Programs.
In Default Programs, you can:
· Set your default programs. Use this option to choose which programs you want Windows to use by default. If you want to use your Windows Live Photo Gallery or Photo Gallery to open all photos, use this option.Finally, yes you can certainly use your photos as a screen saver. If you right click on your desktop, you should see an option for screensaver and you can select it from that menu system.Does that answer your questions? If you are happy with my answers, I would greatly appreciate it if you would please provide me with a positive rating. If still need help, just reply here and I will respond to you.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
benjamin
it looks like I have a completely different system---I have not found 'Windows Photo Viewer' nor an 'option for screensaver' .I have surrendered and will wait until a friend who uses windows comes by and helps me out. There are so many things I need to find out! (I began using 'computers'when they were cassette tapes!! But now I feel like a complete novice) Not your fault.
Well if you would like a quick "class" on how to do these things, I could do a secure remote session with you and I am certain that we can get it done for you together. I realize that you previously stated you didn't want to, but I think it might be an easier option for you. I would be happy to do a few things with you to make the expense worthwhile for you.If you don't want to do this, I understand. I only am paid for answers I provide with a good rating, so I am very motivated to make sure you are happy. Otherwise I don't make anything for my time.Please let me know what you would like to do. Thanks Pat.
Benjamin Larson
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
benjamin
Thank you for the offerbut I am afraid I cannot sit for more thanone or twoitems at a time. That seems tobea nerve-wracking pay system! These tech companies arepulling in bigbucks, butpay skinflint wages.
I can offer a good recommendation forthe clarity of yourresponses. Pat
Thanks Pat, I do my make better wages during my day job, but I have a 5 month old daughter and Just Answer let's me make a bit of extra money around her schedule, so it's been nice. I do find if frustrating about the pay system sometimes, but I know people are leery of being ripped off so I think Just Answer tries to balance that out.In any case, feel free to ask for me in future questions you may have and a moderator can alert me so I may respond and thank so much for the rating!
Benjamin Larson
Benjamin Larson