Someting popped up on my computer that microsoft was

Customer Question
Someting popped up on...

Someting popped up on my computer that microsoft was updating 10. when i called they tried to sell me a fx for 198,00. is this a scam?

Technician's Assistant: What Microsoft model do you have? And the Operating System (OS)?

I have put in microsoft 10 and i use aol.i have a dell computer

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your computer? What have you tried so far?

About 2 weeks. it keeps popping up thati shud it

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Computer
3/13/2018
Tech Support Specialist: Chris L., Support Specialist replied 4 months ago
Chris L., Support Specialist

Hello my name is ***** ***** certified computer professional with over 10 years experience. I will be happy to help you.

This is absolutely a scam, it is very well known and we see this type of tech support scam often. No legitimate company would ever contact you this way. Your computer does not report its status to anyone. Usually what will happen is once you are in contact with them they will lie to you about issues that your computer does not have such as it is being hacked or has viruses. They will then attempt to charge you many hundreds of dollars to fix the fake issues. You likely have some malware that is on the computer causing the pop up. Download and install the free version of this program: https://www.malwarebytes.com/ run the program and delete any threats it finds.
My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating for providing you a quick answer! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.