I would like to change my email password but I don’t

Customer Question
I would like to...

I would like to change my email password ***** I don’t remember the old one

Technician's Assistant: Are you logged into your email account on any other devices?

No. I recently got a new iPhone n I can’t get my email

Technician's Assistant: Do you have security questions or a phone number on file to help reset your password?

The phone # is(###) ###-#### But that’s not my # I’m the provider n my # is(###) ###-####

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?

I don’t think so

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Computer
3/13/2018
Tech Support Specialist: Jamie Macko, Computer Engineer replied 4 months ago
Jamie Macko
Jamie Macko, Computer Engineer

Thank you for your question today. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist.

We will need to go to the email providers website to change your password. It is fine that you do not remember the old one.
However, I do not see any info provided on who your email provider is. Are you able to provide me with that info so that I can route you to the proper reset location. I am going to include info for resetting a gmail account, since a majority of users use gmail. If you have a @gmail.com email address this will apply to you. Otherwise, please let me know who, or what your email address is and I can route you to the proper location.

Recover a Forgotten Gmail Password:

To reset your forgotten Gmail password ***** recover access to your account:

1. Make sure you either:
  2. Click Forgot password? on Gmail's log-in page.
  3. If prompted, type your full Gmail email address over Enter your email on the Account support page.
  4. Click Next.

Gmail will now ask a number of questions to try to establish you as the owner of the account. For each question:

1. Enter your answer as well as you can and click Next or
  2. Click Try a different question if you cannot answer or do not have access to the resource – a secondary email address, say, or a phone number.

What Questions Will Google Ask to Verify My Gmail Account?

The questions Gmail asks may include the following, not necessarily in this order:

• A previous password:
    • If you have changed your Gmail password ***** only remember the (or any) older one, you can enter it.
    • Verification using a code (with 2-step authentication enabled for the Gmail account):
      • Depending on the verification methods set up for 2-step authentication, you can get a code from:
        1. An SMS text message received from Google;
        2. An app (e.g. Google Authenticator); or
        3. Printed back-up codes.
      • Enter the phone number used for verification if prompted.
    • A phone number set up for account recovery in Gmail:
      • You will receive an SMS text message from Google that contains a verification code.​
    • A secondary email address for Gmail account recovery:
      • Follow the link in a message from Google sent to the email address to reset the password ***** the Google Account.
      • You may also be able to enter any current email address to receive a verification code.
    • A security question for Gmail password *****:
      • Type the answer to your recovery question following the question under Answer the security question you added to your account.
    • When you set up the account:
      • Enter the month and year when you created the Gmail (or Google) account.
    • If you have used your Gmail account in the past five days but have not specified a secondary email address, you will have to wait for these five days to pass.

Once you have established yourself as your account's owner using any of the – and usually multiple – steps above, Gmail will log you in to the account. If, for security reasons, you do want to change your password, follow the Change password link.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or need any clarity.

If this helps, please rate me 5 stars!

Thanks,
      Jamie

Hello, did you need any further assistance with this? Let me know if you do.

Thanks,
Jamie