I have the asus pce-ac56 802.11 ac network adapter on a pc.

I have the asus...

I have the asus pce-ac56 802.11 ac network adapter on a pc. Windows 10 just updated and now I can’t connect to internet. When I click into device manager and the properties of the adapter, I see the current status as “This device cannot start. (Code 10)”. I tried to rollback the driver but that option is grayed out. What do I do?

Technician's Assistant: Are you able to connect using an ethernet cable?

I can try, but my modem is in another room. That would require me to move everything

Technician's Assistant: Which lights are colored and/or blinking on your router?

All of them

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?

I can verify that my wireless router is working because I am connected to it in my phone now

3/13/2018
Cabletech
Cabletech, Computer Support Specialist

Hello and welcome! I would be happy to assist today with your question.

Give me just a moment while I review the information provided.

Have you tried to update to the latest driver? Sometimes post Windows updates, a new driver is listed because the old driver is outdated. https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/PCEAC56/HelpDesk_Download/

Try to update to the latest one if it's not and let me know how it goes. I'll still be here to work with you if you have to reboot.

Tried that. It said the best driver is installed. However, I am not on the internet. Do I need to move the pc into the other room and connect to router directly via Ethernet cable?

If connecting to the internet will help you verify the driver again, then I agree that you would need to connect to the internet via ethernet. You would need internet connection on the next step but my next suggestion is to uninstall the driver and reinstall it again. I can wait for you to try that as well. However, if that doesn't work, I have a feeling they are working on a new driver to work with the new update with Windows 10. I have had a few questions come through lately like yours.

I connected to internet via an Ethernet cable. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling and got same error code.

What error code do you receive?

When I click into the properties of the wireless card in device manager the device status is “This device cannot start. (Code 10)”

Oh ok. That message. Give me a few moments to look more into this.

I'm going to type up 2 steps to try. If the first one doesn't resolve, try the second one. Let me know how it goes.

Ok

First Solution:

1. Download http://aka.ms/diag_device from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027322/windows-update-troubleshooter. You can click on the first link but since Microsoft makes the link look funny, I provided the location from the Microsoft site. You can also Google Microsoft Update Troubleshooter.
  2. Once you run it, it will attempt to repair any issues.
  3. If this doesn't work, proceed next solution.

Next Solution:

1. If the issue persists then try to uninstall and reinstall the network adapter drivers.

Follow these steps:

a. Open Device Manager. You can do this by holding down the Windows Key + R. When the run box appears, type "devmgmt.msc" without quotations.

b. Expand “Network adapters”.

c. Right-click the connection and click “Uninstall”.

d. Follow the on-screen instructions.

e. Restart the computer, if prompted.

2. You will have to reinstall the driver again if it doesn't do it after the restart since it's a third party driver.

If we are able to resolve the network adapter issue, if you would be so kind to give me a rating in the top right (hopefully 5 stars!), I'd be more than grateful. It helps me stay locked to your question if you need more help on this and also helps me receive credit for helping you today.

The first step using the Microsoft update troubleshooting tool worked. It told me there was a pending restart and the wireless card is now working. I think that it killed the card in the initial update and when I connected to the internet this morning with the cable windows finished the update.

Great! Just keep those instructions handy in the event the update in the future happens again. It's very common with the Asus adapters.

As a reminder, before you log out, if you don't mind giving me a rating. Sorry to repeat the notification. It's really one button click and you're done!

Let me know if you have any other questions again!

Cabletech
Cabletech, Computer Support Specialist